economy mode comes on dash before car is started,C5 2008

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bazzer
My Cars:

economy mode comes on dash before car is started,C5 2008

Post by Bazzer »

can anyone tell me what this means ? sometimes, not always, when i unlock the car doors and before i even get the key in the ignition, the dash will read " economy mode activated". when i put the key in the ignition and switch the ignition on but before i start the car, it will go out, the car starts ok and every thing is fine. why does it come on to start with and does it mean there could be a problem somewhere.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: economy mode comes on dash before car is started,C5 2008

Post by vborovic »

Seems your battery needs a really good charge, or a replacement ... the economy mode gets triggered to protect the car electronics, and have it on suspend mode, until the next engine run (to prevent total power drainage and thus doing more problems to the car) ... most newer cars have this mechanism included ... if the battery is good, you should get up to 30 mins of non-engine electronics, but this is related to your previous car run (how much the battery was been able to recharge) and on the total battery life/quality ... I'd say if your battery is older than 4-5 years, it is now a good time to replace it, or you'll be facing the economy mode almost every time you return to the car
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

This helps, even in winter, I have one hard wired in now.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered ... wwodbKgA0A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As said above your battery is weak! Best a GOOD replacement - theres a lot going on in an X7 even with the keys not in the ignition etc..

Mums had this, new battery, all sorted. While you get this, the "See you Home" headlights from the key wont work either and are automatically disabled.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Economy mode is a "feature" on C5 X7 I think. At least here in Finland it doesn´t matter wether you have a full battery and good alternator, my car shows economy mode still very often. And I´m not alone.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On the modern cars, eco mode is linked to running time - you get the same eco time as running time, up to 30mins, regardless of what's gone before - ie drive 2 hours, stop, re-start & run for 1 min, you will only get 1 min before eco mode kicks in :lol: Having said that, it can be worse with a failing battery - if the battery is original, then it's about due a change anyway.
Richard W
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ richard - That's only in theory, I have experience where I've drove for 3 hours, and the economy kicked in after 5 minutes, or when I drove for 10 minutes, and got 30 mins of running time ...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

vborovic wrote:@ richard - That's only in theory, I have experience where I've drove for 3 hours, and the economy kicked in after 5 minutes, or when I drove for 10 minutes, and got 30 mins of running time ...
this

Many times and there seems to be no logic to it. This happens many times despite having a full battery.
The "Solar Charger" keeps a true charge to the battery and reduces any faults being generated, aids good starting etc but does not remove the eco mode completely...but seems to of reduced it.

Really, I find it hard to believe the Petrol Head Modders not solved/edited out this yet ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

vborovic wrote:@ richard - That's only in theory, I have experience where I've drove for 3 hours, and the economy kicked in after 5 minutes, or when I drove for 10 minutes, and got 30 mins of running time ...

Well, it IS French, after all
Richard W
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Mine is equally random. Even after new a battery last year. Just sitting waiting in a car park for family to appear, it would be nice to have a radio that works un-randomly.

With the My Way colour screen, you can feel the heat from it, so I guess it drains the power at a fair rate. The ideal solution would be a timeout on the screen itself after a few seconds (just enough time to set the radio station) and have the radio continue on, but I guess they don't pay development engineers to sit in a car with the radio on to pick up on these minor irritations. Night mode would do it but that only works with the ignition on.

I had a VW Type 2 years ago, with what they now call a 'leisure battery' to run the radio and interior lights, and a main battery to start the thing. You could sit in it for 2 days in snowy Scotland without driving, as the lights dimmed, knowing it would still start on demand. In extremis you could jump lead yourself from yourself if secondary battery was OK. No need for the -ve jump lead, one would do.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Bazzer
My Cars:

Post by Bazzer »

Thanks for all your reply's, much appreciated, think a new battery might be the answer.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Bazzer wrote:Thanks for all your reply's, much appreciated, think a new battery might be the answer.
get it tested first, £80 on a decent battery ?, it is worth a load-test first I think just to make sure.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
stingyzoidberg

Post by stingyzoidberg »

Hi everyone, C5 newbie here!

Got my 2009 C5 4 months ago and was always in economy mode before starting the car (from door unlock).
Looked at the battery and it was a Halfords battery, must have been a replacement so thought there should be some life in it. Cleaned the terminals and put some lithium grease on them and not had an issue since.
Hope that helps
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm not sure how the grease could help in getting more power from the battery (or tricking the BSI to delay the economy mode)
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ sticky - on the solar trickle charger note, where did you place it in the car? I was looking at some that are mounted with the suction cups to the glass ... I was thinking of getting a roof mounted (professional) solar flexible panel (but the whole installation cost would probably be more expensive than some other stuff that I think are more important than a few extra mili-volts ...)