C5 audio/bluetooth.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnsail
My Cars: 2 x Xantia
2 x C5 Tourer
peugeot 206 Roland Garros
Peugeot 208 Firenzia

C5 audio/bluetooth.

Post by johnsail »

Hi All.
New to the forum although have run Xantias for last 15 years.
Have now upgraded to C5 Exclusive Tourer (2010) and am getting used to all the gizmos etc.
I have the bog standard audio (not Navi or the other one) and have managed to set most of the audio up to work with a windows phone etc. I use the sat nav in the phone.
In the Xantia I used a bluetooth ear piece to conrol all fatures of the phone including voice controls. When connected to the earpiece all sat nav instructions came through the earpiece.
With the C5, with the phone connected by bluetooth I do not seem to be able to control the phone by voice through the C5 system neither are the sat nav instructions relayed through the audio. However when the satnav is giving an instruction the radio is muted and the message "Pronounce a voice description" displays pn the screen. No spoken voice is heard but the audio resumes - I assume after the voice has finished. The message remains on the screen.
I can find nothing in the book that indicates the required response to this message.
Can anyone help?
John
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 audio/bluetooth.

Post by Stickyfinger »

Welcome.....nice step up....I bet your enjoying the C5

Don't know how much help I will be but

(In my 2009 Car no Bluetooth, however I have been looking at all the upgrade options and have now ordered a "new" head unit from China with all the modern inputs/usB/BTooth etc ....I also looked for ages to get the best temporary unit )

From what I understand the 2010 system Bluetooth is limited in what it can stream...... so I had ruled out getting a later head unit from a crashed car.....not 100% sure (maybe only music) but a few reports on various forums. I am also not sure if this early system also effects the ability to use voice control ??

Output volumes are reported as low ?...is it due to you not hearing it.....as with the phono/usB boxes

however:

My Samsung has to be "output via Bluetooth" setting checked to stream both my music/phone voice/SatNav via the add-on Bluetooth Receiver/Mic unit that is hard wired directly to the head unit I use at present.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
johnsail
2 x C5 Tourer
Peugeot 208 Firenzia

Post by johnsail »

Hi Stickyfinger.
Fraid you lost me at "head unit". Are you talking about an ear piece simlar to a Plantronics?
But I don't think that I am not hearing the satnav 'cos I have trhe phone on full vol for the music.
More details please.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

head unit is the common term for the radio unit in the dash.

What I am saying is two things

Your unit may have the older Bluetooth type chip and thus may not be able to stream music or use voice controls via bluetooth (or one or the other)

You may need to look at your Phone settings, I had to change mine to output via BlueTooth rather than the headphone jack socket.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ john - First thing's first, which head unit does your car have? I can't figure out from your description, seems to me you just have the radio in the car, not the navigation unit, but the bluetooth connectivity throws me off ... is it an aftermarket (non-PSA) radio unit retro-fitted in the car? Because, the only standard head units, for the C5 X7, that have BT connectivity, are definitely navigation units, with the big color screen ... (maybe you're just using the phone gps navigation although the car has it as well, due to personal preference?)

If you actually have a navigation unit in the car, use this as visual reference to telling us which one it is: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/peugeot ... s-psa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnsail
2 x C5 Tourer
Peugeot 208 Firenzia

Post by johnsail »

:?: Hi Guys. Afraid that you lose me when you talk of X7.
Firstly my unit does not appear on the gpsunderground site referred to above by vborovic.
My C5 does not have satnav built in. It does not have a satnav screen. It has the small vid screen in the facia above the centre console that is about 6in wide x2 in deep.
It does have an audio unit that plays a CD, radio and allows me to select a "Source". When my Windows phone is connected via bluetooth it allows connection to the phone and plays my music. Music tracks can be changed using the buttons on the wheel.
It also functions as a phone operated by the buttons on the wheel.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

We'll get you on track, don't worry ... :) ... X7 is the C5 3rd Gen (2008+ model), in case that threw you off ... let's start with the basics, your car interior looks like this then, right?

If so, the orange screen is a matrix screen, not very detailed (same as C5s from previous generations). From that onwards, from your description, I'd say you have the RD45 radio unit (to my knowledge, very rare in the X7 models). I'll share the owners manual for the unit just in case (for the others): http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/rdssystem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, going from the manual, it is visible that the unit only supports the phone calls, no music streaming. My conclusion would then be that your unit as actually an after-market RD45 chinese version, that can have this feature (music streaming). I'm guessing you're the 2nd hand owner of the car, would it be possible for you to ask the previous owner whether he actually changed the radio unit?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

FYI....from the info I have found some units were fitted with the RD45 unit in the EU/Russia.....it is these early units that had the limited Bluetooth chip (1st gen) and was NOT made in China at the time.

The later China radios have the new Bluetooth chip (apparently, and here is my gamble ordering one)

again, FYI....Bluetooth has a long development history.....and Citroen seem to of been lagging behind its development by 3/4 years at the time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Rd4

RD45
Early Tunisian made type....has one antenna input and usb on the back
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The chinese RD45s might look the same, or slightly different, like this one i.e.:

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

that one does not look like a standard size ?....it looks wider than a DIN size....is that for a C5 ?

and for Mk1 Facelift cars there is this ......BlueTooth in a Facelift, that would be VERY Popular if it fits
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Citroen- ... 16495.html
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

It is advertised as a C5 compatible unit, but like you've noticed, the width is something that also put me off, when I was thinking of getting it for my dad's car (C5 2006) ... you need to contact the seller and get the exact measurements to be sure, and it would be great to get the paired screen, just to be on the safe side ... but, back on topic, until john tells us how close we are with our conclusions, I doubt we'll be able to give a proper answer (since we don't know which exact radio unit is in question)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

John....Photo of Radio in car maybe ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I have a 2010 with blue tooth and standard radio.
Most of the time Siri on the iPhone is deaf. When it can hear me the c5 mic is so noisy it can't understand.
I press the button on end of indicator stalk to get the " pronounce voice description" and then after a pause I usually hear the Siri beep and I can dictate.
Often I will hear no response but if I am understood things happen, like the call being made or the song I wanted.
Once every few months I press the stalk and I hear what Siri is saying, it shows on the display as calling my own number.
If I want instructions from the iPhone nav then I have to turn radio on and stream via bluetooth. Which means copilot keeps playing any music on the phone even when you make it stop. And the instructions seem to have a pause between bits. Like " at the end of the rest road..............
............turn left"
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
johnsail
2 x C5 Tourer
Peugeot 208 Firenzia

Post by johnsail »

Stickyfinger wrote:John....Photo of Radio in car maybe ?
Hi Stickyfinger. Sorry for delay. If I can find out how to attach photos they will be attached.
On my travels yesterday I raealised that I have given slightly incorrect info. When an instruction is issued by the satnav (Windows phone app) the audio is not muted - only the message displayed. The message remains on screen until cancelled by the 'back-arrow' button on the wheel. The message reappears when the next instruction is issued.

Now for the photos . . . . . . .Image

John