C3 2004 (54) LX Desire - help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tontonjon
My Cars: Deep Purple Mk2 Cactus manual and Emerald Blue Mk2 Cactus automatic
Used to own 1970 DSuper and 2003 C5

C3 2004 (54) LX Desire - help!

Post by tontonjon »

Happy Christmas everyone! I have just joined the group: I have been a member of other forums for many years, but so far I have had little luck with this issue.

We have just acquired a 54-plate C3 LX Desire. But there are a couple of niggles, the most annoying being that we have two plip keys but only one has a working remote locking function. I took the car back and the garage owner took it, the non-functioning key and the key code to a Peugeot dealership (his friend works there) but he failed to program the key. They phoned a Citroen dealership who said that LX C3s only had one plip key (and one "ordinary" key) and that it isn't possible to program a second. That doesn't sound right! What if I lose the key and have to have another made?

In addition, the non-functioning key opens the driver's door (via the lock) and starts the car, but does not centrally lock it (only the driver's door locks), which is pretty useless.

A fellow Citroen Car Club member helpfully provided the specification for my car, which states that it is an SX (erm...) and that it ought to have two plip keys - amongst many other things. So until I can confirm this with the original dealer, I am stuck with only one workable key.

Does anyone else have a similar car - or knowledge of these issues? It would really help to know what I ought to have so I can start sorting it out!

Jonathan
Northern_Mike

Re: C3 2004 (54) LX Desire - help!

Post by Northern_Mike »

tontonjon wrote:Happy Christmas everyone! I have just joined the group: I have been a member of other forums for many years, but so far I have had little luck with this issue.

We have just acquired a 54-plate C3 LX Desire. But there are a couple of niggles, the most annoying being that we have two plip keys but only one has a working remote locking function. I took the car back and the garage owner took it, the non-functioning key and the key code to a Peugeot dealership (his friend works there) but he failed to program the key. They phoned a Citroen dealership who said that LX C3s only had one plip key (and one "ordinary" key) and that it isn't possible to program a second. That doesn't sound right! What if I lose the key and have to have another made?

In addition, the non-functioning key opens the driver's door (via the lock) and starts the car, but does not centrally lock it (only the driver's door locks), which is pretty useless.

A fellow Citroen Car Club member helpfully provided the specification for my car, which states that it is an SX (erm...) and that it ought to have two plip keys - amongst many other things. So until I can confirm this with the original dealer, I am stuck with only one workable key.

Does anyone else have a similar car - or knowledge of these issues? It would really help to know what I ought to have so I can start sorting it out!

Jonathan
Having a trawl through the C3 owners forum reveals this thread.

http://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... 3-t71.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears your dealer is talking out of his bottom, and it doesn't even appear you need a Lexia (Citroen diagnostic connector/software) to reprogram a fob to the car.

I'm sure someone else will be along to tell you where to get a key with fob and electronics without having to empty your wallet at the dealer. I'm sure I've seen them for about £40 somewhere..
tontonjon

Post by tontonjon »

Thanks! I've tried three variations of this - the last involved pressing the button as I put the key in the ignition, but that didn't work obviously. I'll give this particular sequence a go and let you know if it works.

And thanks also for pointing me towards yet another forum! If only everyone used just one...

Jonathan
tontonjon

Post by tontonjon »

And the good news is that I didn't wreck the only functioning key; but of course the bad news is that this hasn't solved the problem.

Still, worth a go!

Jonathan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi Jonathan
good to see you made it to the other side, there are quite a few CCC members on here as well,

if you havent found it yet here is a link to our DIS-LEXIA location map

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a thread somewhere relating to Lexia purchasing, and we did have an FCF bulk buy dooo daaaa running, which if you ask nicely young Stevey (myglaren ) might point you in the direction of
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome Jonathan!
citronut wrote:
there is a thread somewhere relating to Lexia purchasing, and we did have an FCF bulk buy dooo daaaa running, which if you ask nicely young Stevey (myglaren ) might point you in the direction of
This is the thread Malcolm is referring to although the bulk-buy thing is expired.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

#-o #-o :roll: :oops: :-D :lol: :wink:

i just spotted that thread Stevie, its the thread directly above this one :o :shock: :roll: #-o :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years