Need Help Please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mir

Need Help Please

Post by mir »

Hi
I have citroen xantia and its rear suspension is getting hard and bumpy
I live in Faltham near heathrow airport
Please let me know the place where i can go and fix the problem
Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Need Help Please

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is probably the rear spheres that are going off (as the nitrogen gas in them has slowly bled out over the years). It is not difficult to replace them yourself, so long as you take the necessary precautions, and a pair of spheres would cost (depending on the supplier and which type of spheres they are) around £60 for a pair.

I replaced all six spheres on Gracie back in June this year and the total cost was under £150 (and, as the cost was over £50, P&P was free), and I got them from AEP Direct. If you decide to use them they will ask for the vehicle reg., to make sure they are supplying the right spheres for your car;

http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mir

Post by mir »

Thanks foe reply Hell Razor5543
I am a disable person I need someone to fix this I checked with lots of garages but they do not know what to do
If you know any one near my location who knows how to fix it Please let me know
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot offer any advise on garages, as I did the work myself. Changing the spheres themselves is not a difficult process, and is covered in a post I will link to. If you are on good terms with any of the local garages it could be worth printing the info off, taking it to them, and asking what they think;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is need for a tool to loosen off the spheres, and Xaccers has designed one that I know works, as I have made and used it. It won't shift spheres that have seized (they need a hammer and chisel, and I am NOT joking; I have experienced this as well), but it is cheap and easy to make;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mir

Post by mir »

Thanks Hell Razor5543
I would printout and take it to my garage lets see what they do
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mir wrote:Hi
I have citroen xantia and its rear suspension is getting hard and bumpy
I live in Faltham near heathrow airport
Please let me know the place where i can go and fix the problem
Thanks
The nearest place I can think of is probably Forge Citroen in Cookham near Maidenhead. Not too far from you.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Darrin at Citroen Classic's is just up the road in Staines http://www.citroenclassics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Failing that buy the sphere's from GSF in Feltham then carry on to me just the other side of Langley and I'll fit them for you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: Failing that buy the sphere's from GSF in Feltham then carry on to me just the other side of Langley and I'll fit them for you.
Good on 'yer Richard :-D

I'm really quite shocked that so many garages now claim sufficient ignorance of this job that they refuse to do it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote: Failing that buy the sphere's from GSF in Feltham then carry on to me just the other side of Langley and I'll fit them for you.
Good on 'yer Richard :-D

I'm really quite shocked that so many garages now claim sufficient ignorance of this job that they refuse to do it...
I think this is the case with any Citroen with Hydraulic suspension Jim, they just don't want to know. Changing spheres is a pretty basic job for anybody who has a clue on how to turn a spanner but they still just shake their head and walk away. :hb:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A special tool isn't essential for loosening spheres.
I've done quite a few using an oil filter wrench (the kind with a steel band and tensioning screw), and my local independent uses a huge pair of Stilsons!
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

depends how tight they are! my front two were varied, one came off with a quick tug, the other took some hammering. the accumulator was completely gone and took a good 20 minute beating
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o