citroen c5 tyres _ eats them up !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zs&tas
My Cars: 2004 c5 2.0 hdi 138. *gone*
1988 pontiac firebird.
1996 1.8 8v xantia auto. soon to go .......
1999 2.0hdi xantia estate

citroen c5 tyres _ eats them up !

Post by zs&tas »

As most c5 owners will know the c5 just eats tyres. I am wondering what I can do? I am considering going up a profile size to get a bigger tyre hopefully won't wear as quick? Any ideas?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: citroen c5 tyres _ eats them up !

Post by elma »

Personally I don't think that will help. I'd get the steering bushes inspected and the track rod ends. Then get the tracking done with the new tyres. If I wanted harder wearing tyres I'd increase the speed and load rating rather than the profile, I'd also choose a tyre with a slightly harder compound (sorry not sure which as I buy soft ones). This will be a stiffer tyre though and slightly less comfortable but not really an issue in a Citroen. I reckon you'll get few different suggestions on this including corner less rapidly :-D .
zs&tas
1988 pontiac firebird.

Post by zs&tas »

Yeah I knew that would happen but honestly it ain't down to the driving, it is a c5 thing I have read in many places. I dread to think how quickly I could have got through them !
I've managed 15 thou on these.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's pretty normal for spirited driving.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

zs&tas wrote: I've managed 15 thou on these.
We rarely get more than 12-13,000 out of a set of front tyres on the Berlingo. It's just had it's 4th pair of fronts fitted in 58,000 miles.

Of course, it's barely touched the rears over that time. It's had two sets, and that was only because the ones on it when I got it where horrid, so I put new on, then when I changed the wheel sizes last year, it got another new pair on the rear. Those rears are virtually unmarked, yet it wore the fronts enough to get advisories on both sides for the MOT. Both evenly worn, both correctly inflated.
zs&tas
1988 pontiac firebird.

Post by zs&tas »

Gets expensive don't it? Do you always get cheap tyres ? Have you tried a better tyre or do you think it's just more money down the pan?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The last set were Bridgestones, the ones I've put on it now are Toyos. Before that it had Matadors which were a bit cheaper but not at all puncture resistant. They all seem to last about the same to be honest.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Just for giggles, measure tread depth and note the compound hardness on a cheap tyre. I've found some go well because they're quite sticky, but of course this means short life - especially if coupled with treads up to 2mm shallower than a brand name tyre.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Just for giggles, measure tread depth and note the compound hardness on a cheap tyre. I've found some go well because they're quite sticky, but of course this means short life - especially if coupled with treads up to 2mm shallower than a brand name tyre.
I shall measure the tread depth and check the compound on these Toyos that are only 200 miles old when I get the Blingo back from Citronut.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have not found my C5 heavy on tyres but then I do drive like a grandad (which I am of course).

Peter
zs&tas
1988 pontiac firebird.

Re:

Post by zs&tas »

addo wrote:Just for giggles, measure tread depth and note the compound hardness on a cheap tyre. I've found some go well because they're quite sticky, but of course this means short life - especially if coupled with treads up to 2mm shallower than a brand name tyre.
Yeah when I was driving old fast Ford's I used to get on with the tyre man and he would hook me up with cheap and sticky, especially good launching the old 4x4 in the wet ;-)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Maybe the answer is to rotate the front and rear tyres every 3 months or so. Won't stop the front wearing faster but will even up your tyres and make them wear out as a set. I tend to put new ones on the back to scrub them in evenly and I rotate my tyres as I feel I need to. I don't think my way is the "right way" but it makes sense to me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

On a comparative basis, a pair of tyres is less than three full tanks of fuel - I try to not begrudge the cost any more than buying petrol.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:On a comparative basis, a pair of tyres is less than three full tanks of fuel - I try to not begrudge the cost any more than buying petrol.
I generally can't be arsed with rotating the tyres around. The fronts wear out, they get replaced. When the rears start to get worn, or perish, they get replaced. As you say, it's no real cost. What does bother me is spending £100 a corner then getting them ruined by unseen detritus or unavoidable potholes - and we all know it happens, especially here in winter. Narrow roads, oncoming traffic, and a damned hole that wasn't there 12 hours ago when you drove to work = £80 down the drain. That's why my "get me to work" car gets pretty cheap tyres and the Berlingo gets the good ones.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had so many damaged rims from potholes; the tyres seem to survive but the wheel gets hammered. Always the NSF. Last one I just welded up a month ago - didn't bother having it trued as it is getting the flick soon enough.

I put new boots on the back, and bring the older tyres to the front - stops the rears baking hard in the sun, without wearing.