Xantia hdi aircon condenser replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Xantia hdi aircon condenser replacement

Post by harryp »

Hi all, Having searched for topics on aircon condenser replacement, can not find a topic explaining how to do same. Does the cooling fan system have to come off? What are the main steps to go through for condenser replacement? So far I have almost removed the bumper - just the head light trims to go, pull forward, disconnect fogs, (?) ... then where?
Thanks, as always, for any info. Regards
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is a connection flange in a really obnoxious spot; remove the bumper, slam panel with headlights attached (don't forget the bonnet release cable!), look for the 5mm allen head bolt securing the condenser to fan cowling down low on the offside - not the adjacent ones joining flange to condenser!

From memory then if you lift the radiator up to free the base pegs, you can manhandle the fan cowling forwards and aside, and disconnect the condenser.

Be sure to use petroleum jelly or refrigerant oil on the new O-rings when reassembling that flange.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Re: Xantia hdi aircon condenser replacement

Post by harryp »

Thanks Addo. Sadly Haynes does not cover this! You have covered the essentials beautifully and thanks for the warnings ref awkward bolts and connections; ta! The bumper internal bolts/screws came out ok, but with the usual seized captive nuts on the wing liners, access was a pita. All 3 lower front edge bolts sheered off @$%%!: ... and a well shaped piece of steel (60x45mm) found resting on the cross member on the o/s wing; where the pop-rivet holding it on had corroded through - be interesting to see what it was for once the front comes off??? Not too far to go then, so I'll soon be dodging the rain showers! Managed to blag a teaspoonful of refrigerant oil from Kwik Fit in a tiny jam pot where the seals are currently resting! For us on the other side of the world, our local KF uses a travelling "master technician" for air con - and my word he is good. Hope to be seeing him again soon then :wink: . Thanks again, regards
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Bumper off??? Urrmm not sure about that actually...

radiator out.. then intercooler out.. but to get them out you need the battery tray out too..

once the intercooler and radiator is out the air con rad is held in be two bolts on the left by the pipe connection for the system it should then swing out.. removing the bumper just gives access to the front of the cooling fans.

This then allows the fan house to remain in place is is certainly the way id do it.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, that can be a better way of doing it as it saves the bumper and slam panel removal but then again if the coolant radiator has bayonet fittings on it then you really are better off doing it Addo's way..

You really don't want to disturb those bayonets if at all possible...

Luckily an HDi does not have those horrible bayonets :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Ah, previious post on wrong thread :oops: .... So 2 bolts/screws out each side, 3 sheared off underneath, headlight trims off, bumper no move... Stuck on horns maybe??? Any polite suggestions? Paul, had started this way and it avoids fiddling with coolant so thought it best to continue. Had hoped to have finished it long before now, but slowly feeling my way. Love the comment elsewhere "just slides out" :? . Regards... Help :!:
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Harry . Shes a hdi.. a far better and reliable cooling system.. best taking the radiator out.. no bayonet fittings a doddle to do this way.. chance to replace coolant too..

cooling systems on hdis dont seem to suffer air locks like the ole hdi engines and have a far improoved cooling system and better bleed outs. If I were you.. id put all the bumper back etc and go in the rad and intercooler way.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Having to do it Pauls way in the end :oops: :oops: . Wanted bumper off as it requires fettling later on and I was curious as to how to remove it - now I know :) . The 5mm hex bolts are difficult, and the lower one I find inaccessible - can see it, but cannot get anything on it as no straight line access from behind and no space to swing anything from above. Had to drill out pop rivets on air shields to gain access to captive nuts, grrrr. Anyhow, have tomorrow to get it done!
Advice please on another problem..... have oil leaking from the turbo pipe to intercooler rad, which means 1) the connection is not too good, BUT 2) does this indicate a blown turbo seal somewhere? Sigh. Would this be an immediate problem, or can it wait a while 8-[ ??
Have to wait until tomorrow to attack it again - it will rain :roll: .
All good character building stuff. Used to think some of the jobs on my old Renaults were a tad difficult, until I discovered Citroen - but hey, can't do without them... must be a cure somewhere??
Regards
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Citroenitis is, as far as we know, an incurable condition. It does, however, mean that you are not likely to suffer any serious back problems.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Id not worry much about oil passage in the inlet pipes. If a turbo seal was away you would have blue smoke in the exhaust.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Every turbo car I've had, diesel or petrol has had a bit of oil in the pipework. You'd know if the seals had gone... In my experience they never "leak a bit for ages". They either work... or your car disappears in a cloud of oil smoke.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:Every turbo car I've had, diesel or petrol has had a bit of oil in the pipework. You'd know if the seals had gone... In my experience they never "leak a bit for ages". They either work... or your car disappears in a cloud of oil smoke.
It's totally normal. The crankcase breather vents into the turbo pipework and it's condensed crankcase fumes you are seeing, not oil from the turbo or anything else.. It keeps things lubricated :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Guys, Thanks for your comments, all of them including the oil :| . Thus reassured, will soldier on :) . Now, where the hell is my pop riviter :? ??
Regards, and a very happy Christmas to all our readers :wink:
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E