*Help* Citroen Acadiane (1982) problem with load capacity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: *Help* Citroen Acadiane (1982) problem with load capacit

Post by Northern_Mike »

acadianecoffeevan wrote:Hi, thanks for all the responses. Well as to whether it feels dangerous driving it, the handling generally has a bit of a wild side anyway, regardless of weight...it's a strange thing to drive, it's fun though when you get used to it. When I had it overloaded, it seemed to stabilise it a bit on windy days, as normally it will blow around in the wind (not a great feeling on the motorway...yes I take it on the M6!)

Basically I just needed a solution to allow me to hold extra weight, so I can carry my stocks and supplies without worrying that the van is overloaded and putting pressure on the components. A trailer may be the most viable solution, but having tried out a wooden 5"x3" trailer...I noticed quite a bit of drag and it struggled when driving up a tiny gradient. Which is annoying because I'm running the business in Lancashire/Cumbria...so it's quite hilly....that's why I was considering whether it would be possible/worth it to modify the van to hold more weight

Oh the coffee machine is quite a beast, but with the coffee machine and me in the van driving it still is around over 100kg under its maximum load capacity...but this, according to my mechanic is treading fine, due to the age. Do you think this is true?
Where abouts in Lancs/Cumbria are you based? I'd happily come and have a look and take some measurements and check the ride height over the xmas holidays when I'm up seeing my folks in Rossendale if that helps? I've rebuilt a couple of 2cvs (very similar mechanicals) and know my way around them well.

As for it's age - as long as it's solid, I see no reason why loading it still under it's weight limit would pose any sort of problem at all. I presume the engine is in good tune (They are slow and not great on hills - 2nd gear, foot to the boards, ensure the engine sounds like it's going to explode is the way to do it..)

Basically, don't worry too much about the components, they're tough old beasts underneath and will take all manner of abuse - after all, the vehicle they are originally based on was designed to carry sheep, eggs and farmers across ploughed fields..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mike you would need to take ride height measurements with it unladen
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:Mike you would need to take ride height measurements with it unladen
Yes, that's what we always did with the 2cvs when setting the ride height on them, it's pretty straightforward to do.

I'd love a running 2cv that didn't cost the earth, I miss driving around in my old ones.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

northern_mike wrote:I'd love a running 2cv that didn't cost the earth, I miss driving around in my old ones.
I deeply regret not buying several a few years ago when they were going for a few quid each....
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:
northern_mike wrote:I'd love a running 2cv that didn't cost the earth, I miss driving around in my old ones.
I deeply regret not buying several a few years ago when they were going for a few quid each....
I got one given, that was in really good nick back in 2004.

I sold one to my brother - well, swapped it, for a chocolate milkshake and a Twix (seriously, I did, the chassis had broken!) It lives today as a GS 1299cc powered 2CV...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Its a long time since I drove 2CV/Dyanes. I do remember we used to go from Cheshire up to Cumbria frequently in winter, a day on the hills followed by an evening in the Cabin pub/jazz club in Bowness, a the time run by Mike Lunn an excellent piano player. I do recall one evening arriving through the snow in our Dyane and fellow regulars asking how we got there - drove of course, its only about 9 inches deep. .....

Anyway, back to the point. As long as its legal, and it sounds like you have checked, I wouldn't worry too much. Think about the coffee machines in those little Italian 3 wheeler things, they survive.

In their native rural France the official capacity of a 2CV van on market day was:

Driver
Matronly neighbour (wearing large hat) requiring lift to station
Neighbours heavy case with clothing for a month, plus large handbag on lap
2 sheep (dead or alive) or a small cow
8 - 10 Chickens
Several empty wine containers in need of refilling
Trestle Table
2 gross eggs
24 Cabbages
50Kg potatoes
Miscellaneous fruit and other produce packed to fill load space to roof.

My rule of thumb with the Dyanes and 2CV cars, if you couldn't see the centre hubcap nut on the rear wheel because the rear wing was below it, its overloaded.

They do feel weird to drive.

The technique on twisty roads is:

Sit slightly diagonally in seat, with shoulder wedged firmly against door pillar
Adjust seat so that right knee is locked straight when accelerator pedal is flat to floor (a sort of primeval cruise control)
Grasp steering wheel firmly with right hand, leaving left hand free for smouldering gauloise and changing gear
Accelerate briskly to v-max, maintain that speed and steer round any obstacles as they present themselves.
Slow down or stop only when absolutely essential.

On a straight road, like motorway, wait until a long distance coach or a white van comes past and nip out into the slipstream. With the fabric roof cars (no use on van) you can judge this because the roof is quiet and flat but starts to flap if you drop back beyond the slipstream envelope, you might have to wait for another one to come by ....

Wonder if I should look out for a good one to buy, getting nostalgic ......
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

holy thread resurrection Batman...... we got a Acoffeeadiane yet?
spotted mine today :lol: first time for, well, months!!
this is empty apart from a few odds and ends

currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

Hi, just to jump in on the tread late.......
although the suspension is adjustable by turning the tie rods in the shackles you may find that the tie rod is rusted solid - if its a late one with the hexagon welded up eyes clean them of all grease and inspect for cracks as this is a regular occurrence. Check also that the knife edges or the pivots haven't worn and haven't worn a slot in the tie rod end.
When re assembling its worth checking that the "Corner weight" is equal. by that i mean that the car isnt loaded on the diagonal which results in odd handling (fairly whips in to one corner but is heavy and sluggish on the other or tends to dive off to one side under heavy braking) a car can be set up to correct heights and appear to be ok. to check put a spreader accross the rear chassis by the axle tube bolts and jack it up centrally so its a tripod then measure the front heights under the axle bolts.

luckily the Acad doesnt have the interconnection that the saloons had, so no need to set up can float and note that you cant unscrew or tighten the tie rods if there is any tension on them at all - so that means jacking the wheels off the ground before attempting it.

sorry if any of it is teaching you to suck eggs :)

as for actually driving them thats a whole other subject- ive always maintaned that a "Skippers" licence rather than driving one and a manometer on the front to judge wind direction and strength would be more use than a speedo - and as you have been told wind them up! The engine produced peak power at about 5700rpm and will happily sit at that all day every day - its quite "racey" if your used to a diesel sitting at 3000. There are little orange dots on the speedo as recomended gear change points but you do have to make allowances for load etc..
Have someone that knows about them set up the timing they are quite prone to pinking damage due to the nature of modern petrol especially given the weight, large airbrake on the back and various peculiarities with engine and carburation.
Sean
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer