2001 xantia 1.8 petrol heater problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elfroy

2001 xantia 1.8 petrol heater problem

Post by elfroy »

hi all. your forum has helped me in the past and im really hoping you can help again.
when i left for work this morning my heater motor was working perfectly fine. when i left tonight i started the car and NOTHING!!!. i did the obvious and checked the fuses and there ok. i read some other posts on here and was able to locate the blower in the passenger foot well. i checked the brown connector and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. upon plugging it back in it started up. i thought that was problem solved but as i moved the slider from auto to max it stayed at the same speed (full).. and wouldnt shut down and then as quick as it started it stopped. i took the motor out and checked the brushes and they seem fine with plenty of meat left on them. would it be a problem with the slider ? and if so can anyone advise how i get behind there as i dont want to force anything and break somthing :)
thank you in advance
darren
thanks darren

xantia 2001
1.8i petrol
elfroy

Re: 2001 xantia 1.8 petrol heater problem

Post by elfroy »

ok so i swiched out the old blower and fitted a new one and still no joy ??? any ideas
thanks darren

xantia 2001
1.8i petrol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Darren,

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=24786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page two of the thread I link to another thread that shows you how to test the control signals going to the speed regulator.

I'm sure that those two threads will help enormously in resolving your problems...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elfroy

Post by elfroy »

Thank you. Will investigate tomorrow.. One garage told me it could be the hvac and will be around 450 to fix. If so I'll have to scrap the old girl.
thanks darren

xantia 2001
1.8i petrol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elfroy wrote:One garage told me it could be the hvac and will be around 450 to fix.
Very unlikely. Blower problems are common and never that hard or expensive to fix generally...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elfroy

Post by elfroy »

Thank you for you help but I have had the car into a local garage and they say the wiring checks out. They said it's either the ecu or the actual blower slider control. Rang round some local scrap yards but can't get a controf unit for my car. So she's off to the car heaven. Shame because she runs great. Not sure what car I'm going to get but wanted to say that this forum has helped greatly not just on this but other questions I've asked. Keep up the good work
thanks darren

xantia 2001
1.8i petrol
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Have you solved this? I can't remember if its controlled by earth or live but find your earth on motor and run it straight to body..if nothing try live...I'm pretty sure thou that its the connections on the motor that are failing you...try cleaning them up scratch with a screwdriver or stanly and keep taking readings..I know mine would mess about if I put it straight to full it would cut out I'd put it back to o and move it up slowly it would work
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

elfroy wrote:Thank you. Will investigate tomorrow.. One garage told me it could be the hvac and will be around 450 to fix.
They're lying.

Do all your other electrical items work - heated rear window, radio, etc?

The series 1 cars had a problem with ignition switch contacts burning out. This was resolved on the series 2 cars. It'll be a wiring or relay problem. Not expensive to fix.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Yea good point mike I forgot bout that :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

elfroy, Did you get this fixed? If so what was the fix??
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros