BX Front wheel makes rumbling sound on rough roads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

BX Front wheel makes rumbling sound on rough roads

Post by pierre_verbakel »

My <b>BX</b> Front wheel makes <b>rumbling sound </b>on rough roads. It seems to be one wheel only, the right side. I am wondering what it might be. I have removed the wheel on both sides and could not find any play on the balljoint.
I am now thinking that play on the rollbar bearing might give this effect. Since there is a 250 kg pressure on the suspension arms per wheel I cannot imagine that the play that must exist somewhere would be so audible. Does anybody have experience with this rumbling sounds coming from the front wheel and have detected the problem and resolved it. Then I would be delighted how to approach the repair of this problem.
Pierre Verbakel
The Netherlands
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bonjour Pierre [:)]
It's known that rumbling/knocking/groaning noises from the suspension indeed is amplified through the chassis body panels - making for incredible noise at drivers seat.
On the BX there are 2 wellknown problems on the front suspension :
1) The droplinks - these short rods each side connecting the rollbar with the lower control (triangle) arm. They wear out in the balljoints. Often they get dry in the balljoint grease - then they tend to stuck - while suddenly slip on a larger suspension movement - making for an incredible knock sound.
Jack up front - wheels off ground - then try rock these droplinks hard - NO slack is allowed.
Try look if the small protective rubber gaiters on these balljoints are damaged - then the joint is likely dry or worn.
If no slack and joint rubber is fine - then simply try inject some bearing grease using a small medical injection needle. This cures a dry balljoint after a couple of days.
Cheap spares - easy to replace.
Simply hacksaw/angle grind off the bolts/nuts if they are teasers.
2) The rollbar bushings. Also the rollbar has a tendency to wander towards either side - can be prevented by using standard wormdrive clips fitted innermost next to the bushings.
Again with wheels off ground - try rock the rollbar hard. Any slack will produce heavy knocking.
Spares may be hard to find - fiddly to replace.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

hi Pierre,
You say you have a rumbling sound, Perhaps you have had a tyre replaced, try swapping your front tyres over and see if the sound goes to the other side, if it does it may well be the tyre is faulty or the rubber compound is different to the other, therefore causing you to here more noise from it.
Good luck
Paul.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

In my case (BX 16) roll-bar droplinks caused this annoying knocking/rumbling on uneven surface.
There wasn't any free play in balljoints and gaiters were ok, but the rubber (or plastic ?) inside the lower balljoint was worn on the edge and it was two metal parts touching each other and making the noise. Or so I think.
pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

Thanks very much for this info. [:)]Seems to be very plausible. I will jack the car up again and have a look.
Pierre Verbakel
The Netherlands
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Bonjour Pierre [:)]
It's known that rumbling/knocking/groaning noises from the suspension indeed is amplified through the chassis body panels - making for incredible noise at drivers seat.
On the BX there are 2 wellknown problems on the front suspension :
1) The droplinks - these short rods each side connecting the rollbar with the lower control (triangle) arm. They wear out in the balljoints. Often they get dry in the balljoint grease - then they tend to stuck - while suddenly slip on a larger suspension movement - making for an incredible knock sound.
Jack up front - wheels off ground - then try rock these droplinks hard - NO slack is allowed.
Try look if the small protective rubber gaiters on these balljoints are damaged - then the joint is likely dry or worn.
If no slack and joint rubber is fine - then simply try inject some bearing grease using a small medical injection needle. This cures a dry balljoint after a couple of days.
Cheap spares - easy to replace.
Simply hacksaw/angle grind off the bolts/nuts if they are teasers.
2) The rollbar bushings. Also the rollbar has a tendency to wander towards either side - can be prevented by using standard wormdrive clips fitted innermost next to the bushings.
Again with wheels off ground - try rock the rollbar hard. Any slack will produce heavy knocking.
Spares may be hard to find - fiddly to replace.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
pierre_verbakel
My Cars:

Hello all,
I have checked the droplinks and could not find wear in the joints.
I could not find play while trying to vibrate it with force. They were, when decoupled, rotating with some resistance. On both sides they were in the same condition. Checked also the rubber `bearings` of the rollbar and do not see deformations. Rubber is still there around the ring.
After mounting everything I drove a few meters I heard the unwanted sound again, a knocking vibrating kind of sound when the right front wheel passes a small uneveness in the road. I would expect to find some play somewhere but I was not able to. I am not sure how to feel play in the swivel ball joints, but while trying to move it with force could not feel anything.
Therefore I am still hearing the sound I would like to get rid off.
Anybody with other ideas?
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

As I said, in my case it was the same.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK Pierre -
I agree with Alex - it's indeed very common not to find any slack in the droplinks - but they still makes noise.
Try grease them up as I suggested - it WILL work if the balljoints are worn or dry in the plastic cups. It's a dead cheap & easy first trial.
If it helps over a couple of days - then you know the droplinks have a weakness - but they will last very long before any real slack comes up - my bet it's nice summer when they start making trouble [:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Another droplink trick is to tighten up the lower one (the hrozontal one) by giving it a sharp tap (well a good wallop really) with a ball pein hammer, you hit them from the front, keeps em quiet for quite a while, Tip given to me by a Cit mechanic.
Stewart
ps My old Mk 1 Bx used to have rattling wheeltrims....just a thought