Worrying "crack" heard when closing window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Worrying "crack" heard when closing window

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, I feel your pain. Team WFA did this job last weekend and we discovered, to our cost, that the clips are handed too..

A wrong-handed one works but makes a clink noise when the window recession the top of its travel...

I consider it a hateful job :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Mike, I feel your pain. Team WFA did this job last weekend and we discovered, to our cost, that the clips are handed too..

A wrong-handed one works but makes a clink noise when the window recession the top of its travel...

I consider it a hateful job :evil:
Yeah, was made aware of the handed offerings but mine also didn't seem entirely smooth as it reached the end of it's clsoing travel - I assumed it might have been something to do with the regulator rail mounting position as at least one of them is "slotted" for a bit of lateral adjustment. But also now looking at how the glasses rubber grommet has slightly deformed, I assume the now non-snug original metal retaining clip might have been allowing enough freeplay to cause it.

Any idea what the handed difference is in relation to - is it the through-the-glass lug/nipple position?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, until I compare them side by side Mike, I don't sadly...

When we next do the job I'll take note....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Got the replacement clip in the post yesterday and had to "modify" both it and the original rubber grommet that sits in the hole in the glass due to the "repair" clip being a different design to the original. I got it all back together ok but not without causing myself extra problems (due to pain and fatigue) such as breaking doorcard clips, lost fasteners and biggest scare of all was the glass somehow got forced out the front guide causing the glass to wedge itself tight halfway on the upstroke. Initially I thought there was a power/electrical problem then got anxious it was going to break the window. While I'm not 100% confident the repair clip will hold over time I'm pleased to announce that last-inch-of-closing-worry is now history and the glass runs in both directions smooth as silk (for now).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Mike :-D

The WFA car has now had the right-sided clip fitted and I understand its crack has now cleared up.. I didn't observe the job so I missed the opportunity to compare...

The Team WFA member who did the job told me it took him just eight minutes from start to end and that was with a tea break in the middle of it..

I'm not sure I believe him. Tea breaks take me much longer than that :twisted:
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:Good stuff Mike :-D

The WFA car has now had the right-sided clip fitted and I understand its crack has now cleared up.. I didn't observe the job so I missed the opportunity to compare...

The Team WFA member who did the job told me it took him just eight minutes from start to end and that was with a tea break in the middle of it..

I'm not sure I believe him. Tea breaks take me much longer than that :twisted:
It was a coffee break to be accurate. I made the coffee and put the mug on the workbench and then started on the car, that way I couldnt drink the coffee until I was back at the workbench changing the clip over. I found the trick is to use 2 cable ties to hold the reel under tension as you can cable tie the cable near the plastic guides......

To be very picky it took me 8 minutes from unlocking the car to bolting the mechanism back in the car, it then took a further 30 minutes to get the sodding spring clip in.

The difference in clips is minor. The difference is that the cable enter the plastic blocks on different sides, top and bottom. The cracking sound that I heard I *think* is caused by the cable whipping the guide as it stops. I watched the whole thing a few times and I couldn't see that it could be anything else, so on the correct block the cable will be further from the guide so when it reaches the limit the cable will still move but not make contact with the guide.

Having looked at it all in motion I don't think it would actually be a problem to have left the wrong block on there as the car has anti-pinch so it can't put anything under too much stress.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Chris570 wrote:
.... it then took a further 30 minutes to get the sodding spring clip in.
:-D

I just got a reply from the ebay seller of the clip I bought. Seems there's at least two different types so I guess I bought the wrong one. Oh well, if this one fails in short time, I'll try the other one next though I'd need to source a new rubber grommet for the glass as I've "modified" mine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: It was a coffee break to be accurate.
Chris, my apologies for my inaccuracy :oops:
Jim