Warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AUSTEN
New User

Warning light

Post by AUSTEN »

Hi, my mrs has just bought a v reg xsara and within hours it seems to be running hot and when you turn the heater on and select window demist a red warning light appears near the temp gauge and the engine makes a click and engine noise changes
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Warning light

Post by wheeler »

You have a fault with your radiator cooling fans, when you turn the heaters to demist it switches the A/C on & also the cooling fans. You will probably find that at least one of them isn't working. once you have confirmed that it will need a bit more investigation, may be either a faulty motor or a problem with the relays/wiring in the middle of the two fans.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

With care, you could (if you can access them) try turning the fans by hand to see if they are seized. Sometimes a fan can stick, and being turned by hand might clear it enough to allow it to spin up normally.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:With care, you could (if you can access them) try turning the fans by hand to see if they are seized. Sometimes a fan can stick, and being turned by hand might clear it enough to allow it to spin up normally.
DO NOT TURN FANS BY HAND WITH THE IGNITION ON OR WHEN THE ENGINE REALLY HOT - if the fan powers-up while your fingers are in the way.... :cry: #-o

Only rotate the fans in the designed direction - reverse rotation is likely to trash the brushes.

In my experience with cars that don't spent lots of time stuck in traffic, after a few years and plenty of miles, radiator fans can get stuck through lack of use but if caught early enough, can still be freed up by rotating by hand and the application of something like WD40 (less to lubricate than to de-water, de-salt and de-gunge) at the point where the fan shaft enters the motor body. If this works, once the WD40 has mostly dissipated, a tiny squirt of white grease in the same spot will help keep salt spray at bay.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My bad. I should have said only to do so when the car is cold (i.e. not been running for several hours).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!