Advice on picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davecmusic

Advice on picasso

Post by davecmusic »

Had a 2.0 Hdi from new now with 130k on the lock (52 plate). Had a high speed accident in it "heavy front corner" when it was 6 months old and they fixed it (not my fault btw) and it had everything done including new subframe and sill on the passenger side. 10 years later and the outer sill stated to bubble. My mechanic put it finger through the hole and the entire bottom of the sill has gone in 3 places, one of which is a hand sized hole. In addition the inner sill is rotten in 2 places each about 20cm long, it flexes away from the floor when pushed and there is a 2cm strip where it is rotten and not attached. My mechanic doesn't want to do it as the entire box section is corroded, either on the surface or deeper in. It appears the repair was not rust proofed 10 years ago and has been rotting ever since. He has told me that once its started its hard to stop the tin worm (i remember this from my old BL cars) and that even if he did weld it up and put a new outer sill on he would be concerned as I commute down the M62 every day.

The cars clutch engages right at the top of the pedal, a 1cm push and it slips though it drives fine. It also needs a back box and pads/discs. It scraped through on emissions last year too.... Condition is rather dented and scratched, its been well used as a family car thought everyone is attached to it. The advice given is to call it a day. Local breakers offer £150 for it. Any ideas? I don't want another money pit (my Xantia was one before the camshaft snapped on the motorway and destroyed it) but there is the emotional pull..... :-D

Sensible advice appreciated! He is offering me a Xzara estate HDi for £450 with 12 months MOT and he is honest as the day is long...
davecmusic

Re: Advice on picasso

Post by davecmusic »

Just for the record its now tin cans...... On a second look it was so rotten that I couldn't believe it had been on the M62 so much. Sad really, but they really are never the same after an accident. The Xzara estate went the same way as getting a back axel for it was a pain so it got tin canned too.
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

I think the rot was in before the repair..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The problem with repairing any galvanized car is the the welding burns off the galvanizing, once that has happened the integrity of the rustproofing has been compromised and the rust will creep.

Peter