Run out of diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dav3y
My Cars:

Run out of diesel

Post by dav3y »

First diesel I have owned and running well for a year or so.

I think the fuel indicator has become sticky, warning light come on and after about 10 miles, lost the oomph. I have been wondering about that gauge !

My question is.. As I have been so stupid to let it run out is there a certain procedure to get fuel back in / bleed. I am aware petrol, you can just chuck in but have never run out in a diesel. Is this a simple process or going to be a complete nightmare and a huge cost?

I had this in mind when it run out so just coasted up to the side of the road and didn't attempt to turn over the engine.
Citroen xantia td sx 2000
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Run out of diesel

Post by citroenxm »

Car make model . engine fitted.. year ... etc would help us to tell you an answer sir!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

Silly me

Xantia td sx 1.9 2000

Engine had no power although still ticked over then a few seconds later dash lights popped on as though it stalled, switched off and have not turned over since, thanks
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well assuming it is litterally just run out of fuel and theres nothing mechanically wrong with the engine put fuel in the tank and then under the bonnet theres a primer bulb.. on the left.. you will then need to prime the fuel up to the engine.. then once the primer bulb goes hard spin the engine over a few times so the pump fills up and gets the fuel to the injectors. Dont he afriad to keep her turning for 5 seconds or so at a time. you will need a good battery for it.. but spin it over then prime a bit more so the bulb goes hard again and spin again.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

Phew, thanks for the info didn't really want to be walking a couple of miles with a bag of spanners / unwittingly perform some damage by not doing a specific process. Fingers crossed I'll have her running in a few hours

I'll let you know how I get on. I did buy a fuel filter not long ago with a bunch of service parts so will get that popped in and get the fuel system check over at the same time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just to add to Paul's excellent advice, have the ignition on so that the stop solenoid on the pump is open when you're pumping the priming bulb. This'll help get the pump full of fuel ready for the first start attempt.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:Just to add to Paul's excellent advice, have the ignition on so that the stop solenoid on the pump is open when you're pumping the priming bulb. This'll help get the pump full of fuel ready for the first start attempt.

Doh of course Silly me.. and I knew damm well too... im tired.. its early ish .. thanks jim..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

Thanks guys, will give that a whirl :)
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

:( can see what the primer looks like in the Haynes manual although having trouble locating mine, may have a different model engine?

Tried to attach picture on phone but too big any other know locations? Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yours may well be an HDi in which case I believe they're pretty much self-bleeding due to having an electric lift pump in the tank.

Switch on the ignition and if it is an HDi you should hear a whirr from the tank (that's the pump) for a few moments and then after a bit of cranking it should start normally..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A guide to uploading photo's here.
Using Photobucket there is a resize option or you can post a thumbnail that when clicked opens a full size image.

Click on the profile (image) button top right between the search and cart buttons.
Then the "Albums" tab and down on the left is the "Customise Upload Options" link.

640 x 480 is the ideal size for forums, otherwise you invoke horizontal scrolling on many monitors that is an irritation to many.
If you want a larger image to show detail then the thumbnail option, available when selecting a link to post is the better option.

Click the thumbnail above then the + to increase the size and see below the selected image is a highlighted box, click that and copy it then paste the link.
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

All good starts / stops on the button as always.

I tried uploading from a mobile so didn't have the luxury of resizing at the time, will certainly bear that in mind I do have to again though, thanks guys
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :-D
Jim

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Side issue - apologies. Have tried using the Photobucket just, to post a photo. Bit messy, so, how do you get the pic in the blog rather than a link address; and how do you link to "here". Sorry if this is very basic.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Look at the screenshot above.
Under each image are three link options.
If you want to add a suitably sized image into a post, select and copy the middle one then paste that selection into your post, it automatically assigns image tags.
To post a thumbnail image, select the bottom link (highlighted in the screenshot), copy and paste that in the same way.