Replacement ZX rear axle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

Replacement ZX rear axle

Post by RussellF97 »

Has anyone used these folks for a new rear axle? eBay item number: 251286646626.
My ZX is rapidly heading for its 19th birthday, there's clonking from the sagging back end and the rear wheels are definitely doing this /\ !

There are places which can fit them, but I thought if I did it myself, I could sort out some minor rusting on the lower edge of the inner wheelarch at the same time a lot more easily with everything out of the way.

Does anyone know of any major problems I'm likely to come across if I do it myself?
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Releasing the handbrake cables and hard lines may be a fiddle if there's corrosion. Not sure if the ZX requires a super long T50 bit.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Replacement ZX rear axle

Post by RichardW »

They look to be OK - however, Lighty posted a link to this company: http://www.imaxle.co.uk which he uses - UK based, and cheaper than the Polish - having said that, they don't list a ZX one, but a Xsara one may well be suitable.

I've replaced the mounts on ZX beam - didn't take it right out - it's not that hard. I would budget on new handbrake cables, brake flexis and pipes to the calipers / drums. If it drums, then I would add new cylinders and linings as well.
Richard W
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Thanks for your replies chaps. I'm in Brittany so the shipping will be the same from either of them. They have lots of good ebay feedback from French buyers anyway. The handbrake cables were new about two years ago as was one of the wheel cylinders, but I have a spare cyl which can go on. This won't happen until next year anyway, so plenty of time to get everything in I'll need!
Probably time to start dropping hints for Christmas presents... :Santa:
Phil

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i am pretty sure the ZX and 306 share the same chassis dynamics, soo a 306 one should fit straight on, i know this is true for the zx 16v / 306 gti-6 so assume it is for the rest the range,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Timmo: thanks for that. I had heard somewhere that the ZX and 306 were the same, but not being an expert in French cars it might be worth investigating that a bit further.
Phil