Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX (110 bhp)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX (110 bhp)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Been a while, still appreciating my old Xantia and still keeping it going.

Have had another m.o.t. today, £21 again from Mr Clutch in Bristol and again I have to agree with the few things it failed on.

It has had knocking noises for a while and when I got the tracking done a few months ago they said it needed rubber bushes etc.

It failed on 7 items again but none of them new light bulbs this time.

1. O/S headlamp aim to low, easy fix no problem.

2. N/S front lower anti roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint.

3. O/S front lower anti roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint.

4. N/S front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

5. O/S front suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

6. O/S front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint.

7. O/S track rod end ball joint has excessive play.

Thats it. It looks bad on first sight but isn't too bad for a nearly 16 year old. Will be nice to get these front suspension probs sorted as they have been bothering me for a while.

Anyone who has any advice on the best easiest fix on items 2-7 would be appreciated.

The mechanic at Mr Clutch said I should get both wishbones changed as this will include new rubber bushes etc. I have 2 new drop links already as I changed them myself about a year ago and they delivered too many. ( I did tell them they didn't care). They are cheap droplinks and so the mileage might not be that good, but I also think if I sort the wishbones and the rest of the front suspension then the droplinks will last a lot longer, must have only done about 10,000 miles on that pair.

Anywho, thanks for any advice in advance.

Steve
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX (110 bhp)

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I agree with the wishbones. You can get bushes, but if you don't get the 'P' bush correctly aligned they will fail in short order. I have been told it takes a long time getting the old bushes out, and the new ones in correctly, and as the wishbones have them already fitted properly, it saves a lot of time.

I would recommend having a look on CarParts4Less for the drop links. I got a pair from Lemforder links from them for under £40 the pair (and Lemforder are a name people on the forum recommend).

I replaced Gracies' N/S ball joint recently (well, Citronut did most of the hard work). Get good ones, and it is likely the opposite one is beginning to have play in it. It is hard work, as you will probably have to remove the hub carrier. Harryp managed to get the ball joint off using a rattle gun;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p424654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know about the track rod ball joint.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 28 Oct 2014, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi,

Yep thanks for response.

Have just read on and there is another page with my m.o.t. sheet which we did talk about earlier, but i missed it when i posted earlier.

8. Parking break lever has no reserve travel

9. O/S front parking brake recording little or no effort

10. front parking (secondary) brakes imbalanced.

11. Parking brake: effeciency below requirements

12. Offside brake cable has restricted free movement.

Am thinking the prob is either in the piston (have replaced piston seal before with a seal fix kit) or a new cable is needed.

Not so happy now, but will be glad to sort these probs as the car has been cheap enough over the last 4 years.

Thanks again for any help.

Steve
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you pull the hand brake on, how many clicks does it do? It should be around 4 to 6 clicks. More than that and there is a problem. I wonder if a secondary cable has stretched or failed (or if the adjustment has slipped). You will have to look. One reason for the cable to fail is when they rub against the guide loops, wear the outer sleeving, and then let water into the inner core, which rusts.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's not really a disaster - mostly sorted with a day's hard spannering.... :lol:

Easiest (but not cheapest) will be to change out the front wishbones complete. Care is required in this operation so as not to lift the roll bar during refitting the arms and thus upset (i.e. break!) the front height correction. However, as you have to do the drop links as well, these can be undone from the roll bar, and that will allow it to be rotated out of the way (although care must still be taken not to overstretch the height correct mech - it may be better to disconnect at the roll bar link). Items 8-12 are all related to a failed OS cable almost certainly. Not nearly as hard to change as it looks - and it's the OS so the confusion over cable length shouldn't come into it (HDi 110 with V6 and Activa uses a different NS cable that is hard to get correct). TRE end is the larger version, so make sure the correct one is supplied. Bottom ball joint can be a PITA as HellRazor has linked - make sure you get the correct tool, and be prepared to have the hub off in a (substantial!) vice to get it undone.
Richard W
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Good responses thanx,

Have been to a couple of garages today as I am not going to even try to do the wishbones myself. The droplinks I have replaced before but I want it all aligned etc which you need the right equipment for.

Got it booked in at another mot garage (not mr clutch) and he will replace all bushes needed at a much lower price than having to buy new wishbones. I already have the 2 droplinks and he will fit them at the same time, aswell as the new cable for around £200. Was a much better price than the other garage said to replace with new wishbones and all else for around £520.

Have been putting up with knocking noises and a dodgy handbrake for a few months (around 6-8 clicks before it is engaged) and so have been expecting a bill to sort it, and £200 doesn't sound too bad all in.

Will post when it passes the retest.

Steve
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Good news, the car passed the retest today at no extra cost, m.o.t for £21 again, nice. Thanks to the people at Mr clutch in Bedminster, Bristol.

Got the work done by the MOT garage in Nailsworth, which they did very well. They did replace the complete wishbones in the end and dealt with the new ball joint, new brake cable (2 clicks now instead of 8) new wishbones and did the 2 droplinks I had, aswell as all the tracking, for within the agreed quote of around £2-250. Really pleased with them and very grateful.

After a blat down the motorway today to Bristol I can say the drive is the best it has been. Feels very smooth and sorted. Now mot'd for another year.

Cheers for advice,

Steve