Berlingo whats this strip called ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jps71
My Cars:

Berlingo whats this strip called ?

Post by jps71 »

Hi Guys

I have an 04 reg Berlingo there is a rubber channeled strip that goes on the shell that forms a seal when the front & side doors are closed.
The one on my berlingo has started to peel away causing rain to come in to the cabin.

I have tried to restick it using double sided tape & glue etc but it keeps coming away.
Looking at the strip it appears to be self adhesive.

I have tried searching for a replacement online using many search terms ie gutter weather strip etc but with no joy.

Can anyone please tell me the proper name for this strip or does someone know what will make it stick back on to the paint work.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers jps
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Berlingo whats this strip called ?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It seems to be just called a seal in the parts list although searching for seal doesn't bring it up. If you have access to the list look up 9023.FG. That may not be exactly the one you want as there are many variations depending on spec.
I've always found that the only thing that will stick the old one securely is Evostick contact adhesive, clean off all the original stuff, smear both the rubber and the pillar with adhesive and let it dry for ten minutes before joining it, doing it in dry conditions is essential.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jps71
My Cars:

Post by jps71 »

Thanks for the info Gibbo.
I will get some evostick & wait for a dry day :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the OE price and part No.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jps71
My Cars:

Post by jps71 »

Will do citronut
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for the rubber strip that is on the body shell and runs along the top of both doors and down the the A pillar to the waste line

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00009023NN SEAL 21.29 GBP 25.55 GBP 25.55 GBP

although i dont think this seal coming away would let water into the cab, as there is a full weather seal all the way round the door aperture/frame,

were is the water appearing in the cab, as its more likely to be coming in through the scuttle, as the scuttle tends to get a build up of leaves which divert water into the cab, instead of out through the scuttle drain points
Regards, malcolm.

jps71
My Cars:

Post by jps71 »

Hi Malcolm thanks for the info.

The front 12-15" of the trim keeps coming away after trying loads of different things to stick it.

What happens is it will come away and the tip gets trapped between the door and frame.
So if it rains before I realise it is trapped it causes rain to drip in to the cab.

I have found sime Polyurethane adhesive in the garage which will supposedly stick anything so will give that a try.
If it doesn't work I will get a new strip.

Do you know if the strip is self adhesive ?

Cheers Jim
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

My general rule wIth sticking is that 90% of the effort goes into tedious cleaning stage. Scrape any obvious loose bits or old adhesive, Clean with hot water and detergent to remove any water soluble stuff, rinse with hot water, when it's dry it might look clean but a wipe over with an organic solvent, I often use lighter fluid, is essential. Final wipe with clean dry kitchen roll. You might even roughen both surfaces with fine grit emery paper first. Good cleaning makes an amazing difference, Even with relatively ordinary adhesives. I read some solid engineering research years ago, all about adhesive reliability and its all down to the prep.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A lot of polishes will contain silicones, over time this contaminates the "rubber" and paint surfaces. Both can be safely scrubbed as Richard C describes, then try a wipe with acetone or brake cleaner and paper towel. If bonding with polyurethane you will need to hold the seal tightly in place without disturbance for a good eight hours minimum.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard_C wrote: You might even roughen both surfaces with fine grit emery paper first.
Richard
it would not be a good idea to scuff the painted body work surface with any grade of grit/emery paper at all. as this will damage the painted surface
Regards, malcolm.