C5 correct tyre size, Load rating!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnsumner

C5 correct tyre size, Load rating!!!

Post by johnsumner »

Hi all,

RE: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI hatchback 2006.

Needing two new tyres I checked all the online sites for tyres using the car's registration number. Selected the tyres I wanted, then double checked the size against what were fitted on the car. 215 / 55 / 16 - 97 W but the spare was a 93W a different loading value. I rang my local Citroen dealership to check what size tyre should be on the car (as per handbook). They said 215 / 55 / 16 - 93W I said does it matter if I fit a load rating tyre of 97 he said as long as its not a reinforced tyre. There was a note on his screen saying reinforced tyres should never be fitted to the vehicle. So I had to go through the selection process again to find none reinforced tyres as all the 97W tyres I had found were reinforced.
The difference is a much softer ride, you don't feel every little bump in the road, easier on the steering and you don't feel like you are about to push the front tyres off the rims on full lock.
dnsey

Re: C5 correct tyre size, Load rating!!!

Post by dnsey »

First I've heard of it!
Mine has reinforced tyres on the front at the moment. I've just checked Michelin's site, and they show 97 XL as an 'alternative' option.
A major online dealer's recommendations include mostly XLs too.
There might be something in what he says, but it's unlikely you'd notice the difference IMHO.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 correct tyre size, Load rating!!!

Post by Stickyfinger »

As many know , I carry heavy loads a lot, these are my choice. http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/tyres/bra ... e-sv308-xl
They have saved the car once and I find them very good on wet/muddy roads as well as fast A roads.
They seemed a little noisy but are very comfortable.

You can really feel the difference when I unloaded the car with the tire pressures still up high, so I would say the guy is correct and the extra give in the non-reenforced tire makes a softer ride.
Would I use one, nope for me safety first and as reenforced tires are better under deflation/slow down, I will stick with high load types.

Present car has Pilots on, as the car (now X7C5) has changed I cannot say with much certainty as I am new to the car however they seem to be very similar in ride with reduced road noise.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting