Xantia wiring question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Xantia wiring question

Post by larkspeed »

1998 Xantia 1.8i 5 Door Hatchback.

I have a dashcam installed in my car

My previous car was a Xsara and it was installed in there as well,

it was wired into the switched positive of the radio so that as soon as I started the car it would turn on and start recording.

This worked a treat until I got this Xantia

It's wired in the same way, switched positive of the radio.

the problem comes in because on the Xsara the radio wire would remain live (powered) when the ignition was turned to the start position and the car was cranking over, this meant that it was a constant power source from the moment the key was turned on.

however on the Xantia the switched positive to the radio goes dead when the key is turned to the start position and then goes live again when the car starts and the key returns to position 2.

This causes issues with my dashcam because the power essentially goes on off on and this confuses the auto power up circuit of the dashcam and it powers itself back down as soon as the internal battery goes dead, this is about 30 seconds as the battery is only designed to have enough power to save the current video file and shut the system down once the power goes off.

Does anyone know if there is a circuit in the fuse panel I can tap into that will remain live from the moment the ignition is switched on until it's switched off, including during cranking.

Or alternately a circuit that is only live when the engine is actually running
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xantia wiring question

Post by wheeler »

I know the problem, its the same when fitting alarm systems, you need to find an ignition live that doesn't drop out on cranking.
Best way is to get a test lamp & probe each fuse one at a time, alternatively you will almost certainly find a true ignition live at the ignition switch itself. If you wanted an engine running feed you would need to use a relay connected to the ind wire of the alternator.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I've got a self dipping mirror from a Laguna fitted in my Xantia drawing power from the reading light above the drivers door. This circuit is only activated by the key.. could this be a possible source of power for you?
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Post by larkspeed »

No good the reading light is not powered during cranking.