Refurbishing spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Refurbishing spheres

Post by citronut »

electronmirror wrote:A front suspension sphere weighs 1.67 kg.........I've just put one on the kitchen scales :)
yes but is that a flat or full one, the full one should be lighter :twisted: #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not sure that sending pressurised spheres airfreight would be legal (or sensible, which is more important), anyway.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

dnsey wrote:I'm not sure that sending pressurised spheres airfreight would be legal (or sensible, which is more important), anyway.
I can't see why not. I guess they get to places like Colombia or Australia by plane already. They've already got a hole in, all that happens if they fail internally is that the pressure comes out that hole. Might make a bit of a mess but I can't see any danger to an aircraft. No more danger than the 18 massive tyres at 240psi that are already tucked away in a 747 when the landing gear is up...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

True enough, but they don't even like aerosols...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

that would be a big fat ZERO on any pressured container not designed for the job.

\Sea would be the only way I would think...10-30 days with the amount of traffic to the east.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

electronmirror wrote:A front suspension sphere weighs 1.67 kg.........I've just put one on the kitchen scales :)
Thanks electronmirror, much appreciated. Hope you didn't get into too much trouble with Mrs Electronmirror [-X
1999 Xantia 1.9TD SX 170,000KMs
ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

dnsey wrote:I'm not sure that sending pressurised spheres airfreight would be legal (or sensible, which is more important), anyway.
Thanks for that. I hadn't really considered it. The spheres are so strongly built though, that the worst thing that could happen is the membrane rupturing, isn't it?
I can't see that posing any risk to the plane or even the suitcase. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to do anything dangerous. Thanks.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Having pored over the banned items list on British Airways website, I see no reason why you could not carry spheres.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

northern_mike wrote:Having pored over the banned items list on British Airways website, I see no reason why you could not carry spheres.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks Northern Mike, I think I'll go down that route. Thanks.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I normally don't give a toss about rules, but the risk here is too great IMO.

While there is absolutely no danger, you only have to encounter one officious jerk for both the relative and yourself to be on the list for "special treatment" in more officious countries, for a good while. The only workaround I can see, is a written chain of communication including photographs of the typical items (which I would describe as nitrogen filled shock absorber reservoirs) and to have received consent well in advance via this approach.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Looking at the list here: http://freightfilter.com/air-freight-guide/, the spheres would fall into the banned 'gases' category - if inflated balls count, there's little doubt.
I agree that there's no real risk under normal circumstances, but they would be an additional, albeit relatively minor, hazard in the event of depressurisation of the aircraft.
|EDIT: Strike that! Of course the increase in force would be minimal unless the plane was in orbit. Nevertheless, there's a fair bit of stored energy in an inflated sphere which you wouldn't want to release suddenly, especially in the air :shock:
Last edited by dnsey on 18 Oct 2014, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Rules yeh.....thats what they live on !

OK, I admit, I make scale models, well all very accurate miniatures , mostly built from scratch. These are not "Airfix" kits, you try 2.5 thousand 1mm dome head rivets on a WW1 Mk1 tank....that the detail level we work at :)....sad I know but there is a point.

2 years ago, I was traveling to the USA for a large show to which I had been invited as a judge and was asked to bring with me some examples of my work for display. So I took two miniatures of WW1 Austin/RR Armoured Cars, both of these were no more than 5 inches long and both were mounted on wooden display bases. These were carried in a plastic box with a lid and styrene blocks to prevent shocks and movement/damage. (very very very delicate and NEVER touched!)

Well, at Heathrow, the "customs" security INSISTED on swabbing the models with a 2 inch pad on a stick ! for explosive as they were replica weapons !....I objected strongly.....I missed the flight due to extra security checks. Needless to say I spent about 5 hours repairing the damage they caused. (Virgin gave me lunch and an upgrade !)

DO NOT EXPECT ANY LOGIC

edit....he is one of them, 5inch long....yep folks, this was "the security concern"

There is a special area at heathrow where "special" items are scanned by xray.......they issue a special red sticker, with that on you can carry anything......you can ask for the package to be pre scanned at this area if you talk to the people at check-in and describe "the strange shape" "strange thing to carry in a hold" etc......basically avoid problems later....also pack and check in main luggage..DO NOT take then as hand luggage if you are going to try..
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 18 Oct 2014, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Wow; a slightly sophisticated version of "poking something with a stick to see if it moves". :roll: Those clowns ought to become snake handlers.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Wow Stickyfinger, that's a mighty fine model - very impressive. I'm wondering if there's a link between your obvious fingers' dexterity, and your user name of Stickyfinger?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i do know the fire brigade do not like attending a hydraulic citroen ablaze,
many moons back we had been away for a week or two in a GS estate, done several hundred miles pulled up at home turned the engine off, then thought we would go to our previous address, to see if our wondering ginger moggy had gone walkabout back there whilst we were away,

sure enough he was there, got back home again, on switching the engine off there was a pop/flash back from the carb, which caught light to the air filter,
called the nee naws out and on arrival the fire men made evyone stand well back, as they attempted prizing the bonnet open from the back/hinged end with crow bars, i tried telling them it opened from the front and eventually they poped it up from the correct end,

they stated they do not like going out top hydraulic citroen ablaze as they ( the spheres ) can explode
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years