Refurbishing spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ggbinks
My Cars:

Refurbishing spheres

Post by ggbinks »

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to posting so please forgive any basic errors.
I have a 1999 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9TD
Using this site for advice, I've managed to fix numerous leaks, replace water pump, tensioners, auxilliary belts, replace lhm fluid and clean filters etc.Thank you all posters =D>
My problem is that the front 2 strut mounted suspension spheres have gone (I think)
The suspension raises and lowers readily using the lever in the centre console.However, there is no up/down movement when doing the bounce test by pressing down on top of the front wings. It's very firm indeed with no bounce/springiness.
When driving on the highway over undulating sweeping surfaces, the car does feel like a magic carpet ride, it's a real thrill just feeling the car swoop and glide. However, on small bumps, the car seems to have no suspension or shock absorbing qualities at all. So I'm guestimating it's the top mounted front suspension spheres.
Anyone got any practical suggestions for trouble shooting/process of elimination in getting to the bottom of the problem?
Also, I live in Malaysia where new suspension spheres cost 75 pounds each....... :rofl2:
Has anyone ever tried reconditioning a sphere themselves? Vain hopes??

Also, while I'm brain-tapping, the rev-counter works when it is cold, but then after driving for about 15 minutes it gradually stops working????? Does the same thing every morning. I'm guessing it's some electrical connection that expands when hot, losing continuity in the electrical circuit. Anyone experienced this before and got any suggestions please?

Thanks for all your help. I think this site is excellent, and I really appreciate the posters. I've learned so much from you all =D>
1999 Xantia 1.9TD SX 170,000KMs
ggbinks
My Cars:

Re: Refurbishing spheres

Post by ggbinks »

PS, I already tried the 10 minute mod, cutting the inlet pipe off at an angle in the lhm tank. Made the ride noticeably softer over sweeping undulations, but didn't soften up the suspension over small bumps and uneven road surfaces. Thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly if there is no movement with the bounce test, you will not get the magic carpet ride,

and it almost certainly will be your spheres have lost there gas,

is there any movement at the rear suspension with the bounce test,

try asking Surjit Singh as he lives in Malaysia also, he has a fleet of various Citroens, im sure he could tell you what he does on the sphere front

here is his email address

*Edited by admin*
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Probably best to PM that email address then edit it out of your post Malcolm - before the spam bots get their hands on it...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder how much P&P would be if you ordered spheres from these people;

http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

When I lived in New Zealand I once looked at the possibility of getting GSF to ship over a set of spheres for my Xantia - the per unit cost was much less than the NZ price (as Citroen were the only supplier in NZ) but by the time you added freight it worked out that I had to order at least 6 spheres at once to make it significantly cheaper. Because I didn't need that many spheres I didn't go ahead. For only two spheres the shipping would almost certainly make the total cost more expensive.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:Probably best to PM that email address then edit it out of your post Malcolm - before the spam bots get their hands on it...
Indeed. A wise move and generally you should never publish a private email address on any publically accessible forum for safety. Treat an email address like your private telephone numbers.

I've edited it.

Spambots do actively harvest emails addresses accessible on public forums. You should see the crap aimed at the published forum contact address - it keeps my Spam Filters very busy indeed :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mandrake wrote:Probably best to PM that email address then edit it out of your post Malcolm - before the spam bots get their hands on it...
ok thanks Somon and Jim
will do

pm. sent
Regards, malcolm.

ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

citronut wrote:firstly if there is no movement with the bounce test, you will not get the magic carpet ride,

and it almost certainly will be your spheres have lost there gas,

is there any movement at the rear suspension with the bounce test,

try asking Surjit Singh as he lives in Malaysia also, he has a fleet of various Citroëns, im sure he could tell you what he does on the sphere front

here is his email address

*Edited by admin*

Thanks, Citronut, back end bounces beautifully, leading me to concur with you about the front spheres having lost their gas.

Thanks for the PM also, I'll email Surjit to see if he knows of any reasonably priced spheres.

Thanks. 8-)
ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder how much P&P would be if you ordered spheres from these people;

http://www.aepdirect.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just checked out the site, and it's excellent, thanks Hell Razor! The spheres are less than a third of the cost of new spheres here. Great link, thanks. 8-)
ggbinks
My Cars:

Post by ggbinks »

Mandrake wrote:When I lived in New Zealand I once looked at the possibility of getting GSF to ship over a set of spheres for my Xantia - the per unit cost was much less than the NZ price (as Citroen were the only supplier in NZ) but by the time you added freight it worked out that I had to order at least 6 spheres at once to make it significantly cheaper. Because I didn't need that many spheres I didn't go ahead. For only two spheres the shipping would almost certainly make the total cost more expensive.
Thanks for that info Mandrake. I think I'd struggle getting them through the customs without getting hit for duty also as Malaysia's quite strict.
Fortunately I have friends visiting from Ireland in December, so I'll be getting some spheres from AEP Direct and getting them shipped to Ireland. My friends can bring them in their cases.
Does anyone know the approximate weight of the front suspension spheres please? None of the sales sites I've looked at has a weight for them. Thank you all 8-)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Don't know the weight but please let me give you a tip.

Give a set of layout plans, sphere information, fitting procedure and recites to your friend. I have traveled with "unusual" content before and it pays to carry information that even a monkey can understand, eg pictures :)
If you confuse a Customs Officer their brains fuze and they go into default "Bloody Awkward" mode :)

"What's this Sir ?"
Don't really know, a friend asked me to carry it , its a car part I think

"It looks like a bomb Sir "
Really, well maybe yes it does a bit maybe, he (gives address) said its for a French Car...-----Malaysian Anti Terror Squad get called, you get a visit----------

"What are these code numbers and do you know Cuba has good sun at the moment ?"....Sir

:), no really all will be fine if you carry the details of what it is.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stickyfinger wrote:Don't know the weight but please let me give you a tip.

Give a set of layout plans, sphere information, fitting procedure and recites to your friend. I have traveled with "unusual" content before and it pays to carry information that even a monkey can understand, eg pictures :)
If you confuse a Customs Officer their brains fuze and they go into default "Bloody Awkward" mode :)

"What's this Sir ?"
Don't really know, a friend asked me to carry it , its a car part I think

"It looks like a bomb Sir "
Really, well maybe yes it does a bit maybe, he (gives address) said its for a French Car...-----Malaysian Anti Terror Squad get called, you get a visit----------

"What are these code numbers and do you know Cuba has good sun at the moment ?"....Sir

:), no really all will be fine if you carry the details of what it is.
:yikes: :yikes: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sticky, I enjoyed that :lol:

I could tell some tales of some unusual stuff I've carried on aircraft in the past.. In more innocent times some 30 years ago...

One was a set of spanners which I still use regularly to this day..

I was asked why I was carrying them..

I replied "In case I need to fix the 'plane on the way home..."

That was considered OK...

Can't imagine it these days though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

A front suspension sphere weighs 1.67 kg.........I've just put one on the kitchen scales :)
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten