2003 Xsara with a couple of issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lee_P_Xsara
New User

2003 Xsara with a couple of issues

Post by Lee_P_Xsara »

Hi all, first post here and as always it's because I have issues that I'm not sure how to fix and can't afford to keep throwing money at an old car.

The car is a 2003 Xsara 1.6 16v 5Dr with A/C

Firstly I have the "always on" blower problem. the blower is set to 0 and only switches off when the engine is turned off. I have done some reading and know that I can get part number 6441.78 as a replacement (I couldn't replace the actual transistors on the existing part themselves because I have neither the expertise nor tools to do so). My question with this is can I replace the part with little/no know-how/tools or should I take it to a garage? My local garage has already quoted me approx £120 for repairing this and this seems a little expensive.

Secondly, the drivers side electric window also has a fault. When I press the button to raise or lower the window, the window only moves perhaps a half an inch, regardless of whether I am opening or closing the window. Is this likely to be a motor issue or something else? Again I am in the same boat with my mechanical ineptitude and tools but am willing to try/learn if it is something a beginner can attempt.

Lastly, I have recently noticed the dipped headlight light on my dashboard has been blinking. this does not happen all the time but I have seen it a couple of times recently. what could this be?

Thanks in advance for any advice and if anyone has any recommendations on who to speak to in the Rishton/Blackburn area of Lancashire I'd be most grateful.

Regards,
Lee
Citroën Xsara 2003 N1 [1997-2005] Hatchback 1.6 16V
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 2003 Xsara with a couple of issues

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would first like to welcome you to the forum.

The window may be down to the car having the battery disconnected at some time. If the button has a letter 'A' on it, it would be an automatic window with anti-pinch control. Whenever the battery is disconnected the window mechanism 'forgets' its range of travel, and needs to be reset. Wind the window all the way up, then all the way down, and then all the way up again. This, with any luck, will sort out the problem. Another cause may be due to something slightly jamming the window travel, and the anti-pinch mechanism kicking in to prevent damaging something (such as a childs hand between the window and window frame). Wind down the window, and then clean out the window grooves to remove the blockage.

This is a good place to look for recommended garages, but check the relevant details first; some members have had bad experiences with garages and given them titles to match (such as NOT recommended);

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: 2003 Xsara with a couple of issues

Post by miked »

Hi, welcome.

I also have a 2003 Xsara, which I have had from new. The blower was replaced (under warranty) when the car was only 6 months old due to it going flat out. Since then I have changed the transistors on my car myself twice. I have also repaired another 3 for various family / friends. I just put the part number you quoted into google and it does appear that for the price you can now get the whole module, if you can't fix it yourself then replacement isn't that expensive any more.

To answer your question: Removing the blower needs the trim lowered under the glove box (3 crappy plastic screw clips which you loosen with a torx driver). You will then be presented with a whole load of loose wiring looms around the blower but don't worry about them, just move them out of the way as necessary. To drop the blower you need a 10mm socket on an extension to undo the 3 nuts. You will also need a torch and be able to get your head down in the footwell to see where to aim the socket. There is an electrical plug to disconnect and a rubber drain pipe which I presume lets any condensation escape.

Once you remove the blower, There is a little bit of disassembly to change the module, but nothing complicated (just a screwdriver if I recall).