Filler Cap Button

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: Filler Cap Button

Post by miked »

Is that a flap which can be seen in the filler neck which is pushed open by the filler nozzle?
I wonder if the green button is mechanically linked to the flap in some way so you can't get the cap back on if the flap is stuck open?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

momag46 wrote:ANYWAY - What's this little green button for :?:
may be you should pop in the see Barry Aneils at Bourne Citroen, he may be able to shed some light on your green button
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow and see if I can find out what it does - if I can't, I'll talk to Barry.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Second guess.
It's pushed in by the cap, to open the green flap in the filler neck, and allow the tank to breathe.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Seems unlikely. It would never meet evap emissions standards with the fuel tank permanently open to breathe to the atmosphere.

That defeats the whole charcoal canister system where petrol vapours that evaporate inside the tank while parked are stored then burnt when the engine is running.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Does that apply to diesel? Thought that was only spark ignition engines
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:Seems unlikely. It would never meet evap emissions standards with the fuel tank permanently open to breathe to the atmosphere.
Could it work the opposite way - the hole opens when the cap is removed to allow the tank to breathe when being filled? Or even be some sort of one - way valve to allow the tank to such air in as the fuel level goes down but not allow anything to evaporate to the outside?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Kind of what I was meaning Mike, allowing the tank to breathe. (I probably didn't put it the right way.
After all. Old petrol caps used to "breathe", otherwise the tank would collapse as the fuel was used. I'm not into all this EVAC stuff, but from an engineering point of view, if you suck liquid out of a tank without air to replace it, there is only one result. You cause a partial vacuum which results in the tank collapsing.
Rick.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, I believe it's to do with the splash and vapour containment. It's not electrical.
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Hi all

Barry wasn't at his place this morning (11:00) so I had a fiddle.

It is not linked to the locking system - with the flap open and the filler cap off, I locked the doors and the flap pin popped out to lock the flap (that was obviously open) but with the button pushed in (as when the cap is on) or left out the filler neck flap could be pushed open.
I also did the same exercise starting with the filler cap in place.

Looking at it, it doesn't move very far when the cap is fitted so it doesn't look like it could be mechanical or electrical - could it just be a way of stopping the cap coming undone with vibration?

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

FYI....1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9 turbo diesel does have a hole for it but no button
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Stickyfinger wrote:FYI....1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9 turbo diesel does have a hole for it but no button
Does that car have an alarm ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

qprdude wrote:Kind of what I was meaning Mike, allowing the tank to breathe. (I probably didn't put it the right way.
After all. Old petrol caps used to "breathe", otherwise the tank would collapse as the fuel was used. I'm not into all this EVAC stuff, but from an engineering point of view, if you suck liquid out of a tank without air to replace it, there is only one result. You cause a partial vacuum which results in the tank collapsing.
Petrol caps on modern cars are supposed to be air tight when done up to prevent petrol vapours escaping - that's the point of the evap system.

The breather hole for filling the tank is the square slot visible on the right hand side inside the filler neck - with the cap off that hole is open to allow the tank to fill easily but blocked off when you fit the cap.

Vacuum when consuming petrol from the tank doesn't occur because the charcoal canister purge valve is operated by the ECU periodically while the engine is running - intermittently and briefly at low throttle openings and more regularly at wider throttle. Thus any vacuum generated by fuel being consumed from the tank is relieved into the intake tract.

There is also a pressure relief valve but that only operates in extreme cases, not in normal operation.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mandrake wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:FYI....1997 Citroen Xantia 1.9 turbo diesel does have a hole for it but no button
Does that car have an alarm ?
not a clue, not mine
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Just noticed this thread, xsaras also have this 'button'. They have no electrical connections whatsoever, purley mechanical.
From what I understand when the cap is removed it shuts off a chamber somewhere in the filler neck so that the tank cant be truly filled to 'the brim', when the cap is put back on the chamber is opened again leaving space for expansion of the fuel. if you have ever had a plastic jerry can of petrol on a hot day you will see the pressure that builds up in them. Not sure if its on diesel models aswell but my petrol Xsara has it.