C5x7, frnt bumper grill repair, adhesive ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

C5x7, frnt bumper grill repair, adhesive ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi guys.

Just deep cleaning the new car ( I HATE HAIRY DOGS !) both in and out as I find it a most excellent way of spotting all the little points and defects that are so easy to miss....

well, there is a crack in the grill which I can fix with some U shaped channel to bridge the crack and give strength.
I would rather not drill and pin so was wondering about a good flexible mastic that would bond to the grill plastic and keep the U channel in place.

Oh, who knows the best way to remove the grill on a 2009 x7:) ?

cheers
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5x7, frnt bumper grill repair, adhesive ?

Post by qprdude »

Don't know about mastic but vborovic has changed the lower section of the grill to a chrome one if I remember correctly. I think he had pics somewhere but can't find them. If it's the lower part then he would know.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I think it's quite difficult to take out that grill without taking out the whole bumper. It's only plastic clips that are holding it in place, but you can't reach them through the grill holes, I think. And first you have to take out that chrome list which is attached same way.

It might be possible to reach bumper's inside and the grill if you take out plastic protection plates under the engine.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Rick, you're talking about this, right? ... http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... er#p391740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... anyways, thanks for remembering me ... :D ... actually, the chrome part was just attached to the existing grill, no other modifications were necessary ... as for the getting out part, here's a PDF on how to disassemble the front bumper entirely: http://www.filedropper.com/strafrontbumper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Thanks for that Vaborovic, I think I will have to work from the front based on the PDF :) , I can do it with cable ties i think, well I will give it a good go anyway :).

So, which mastic to fill the support channel and bond to the plastic ?, Vaborovic, what did you use to stick on the chrome trim with ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A full cure polyurethane would work best. Sika 11FC is an example. Epoxies are a WOFTAM, as is cyanoacrylate.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

The chrome grill I've installed has 3 anchor points (center + 2 on the sides), each of which consists of 2 protruding flat pieces one above the other, which basically sandwich the plastic grill horizontal lines, and after they come in place (basically, you push the chrome grill onto the plastic one until it reaches the end), you fix them with a screw and a cog behind the plastic grill, to hold the chrome grill in place ... as for the mastic, not sure, I'll see if the Service Documentation has any leads on the plastic repair methods and materials ...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Its OK, I found some two part in a dispenser, it is designed for bumper plastic so should be ok with a high grit rub down. I will drill holes in the U channel to act as keys and cable tie for 24hrs just in case.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Never mind all that broken grill cobs, how are you enjoying the car so far? :)
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Its VERY nice thank you....I am even getting used to the colour :)
The car is very tight, it drives very well indeed with good power and a very smooth box. I like the sports gearbox mode when needed but the sports suspension ?, I like to "boat" a Citroen round corners so I so far leave it off.
Seats are great with the memory, I sit low in my cars so I use memory 2 for a "parking" position....oh to play with new toys :)

I used a "clay bar" on it yesterday and got so much crud off it shocked me :), then a machine polish, then today, chrome and trim, washed vinyl and seats leather balm'ed, n MAJOR vacuuming of dog hairs and gave the outside a good 2 x Wax and then a top shine polymer coat.

.......looking good Amigo
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

A good all round mastic which sounds like it would be suitable for the job is CT1, useful for loads of things, and sticks to wet surfaces. The multisolve solvent is also brilliant.
http://www.ct1ltd.com/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)