Just for clarification

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

larkspeed
My Cars: 2004 Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 16v

Just for clarification

Post by larkspeed »

1997 Xantia 1.8i 5 Door Hatchback

I will be changing front spheres and accumulator within the next couple of weeks.

I have read all about how to de-pressurize the system and the procedure for actually changing the spheres and bleeding the system when done.

What I need clarified though is this:

When doing the accumulator you need to have the front end up in the air to give you clearance to work, I do not have ramps to support it via the wheels but I have have adjustable height axle stands.

My assumption is that the wheels have to be held up so they are in the LOW position and can't just be left dangling as my understanding of the system tells me this would actually create negative pressure and pull in a lot of air when the sphere is removed due to the weight of the wheels pulling the suspension down.

Now I don't know if that is correct or not

Assuming I am right can I just put the axle stands under the lower control arms and hold the wheels up that way?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Just for clarification

Post by citronut »

larkspeed wrote: My assumption is that the wheels have to be held up so they are in the LOW position and can't just be left dangling as my understanding of the system tells me this would actually create negative pressure and pull in a lot of air when the sphere is removed due to the weight of the wheels pulling the suspension down.
no no not at all, axle stands under the sub frame is perfectly ok and there is absolutely no need to lift the front wheels whilst fitting a new accumulator sphere,

in fact you do not even need to depresurise the system to do this one either, i just release the bleed valve
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

ok so i can de-pressurize and change the front suspension spheres and then just jack the car up stick stands under the sub frame and do the accumulator
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No other way around.... set suspension to low (engine running - leave it idling for a couple of minutes) and you can now change the front suspension spheres from the top. Re-start the engine, set suspension to high, wait for it to stabilise. Now depressure the accumulator (via the 12mm bolt on the front of the regulator the accumulator is attached to, undo it 1-2 turns only), and you can then change that from the top - the car will stay in high suspension. You may need to get some access from underneath to get the accumulator off - in which case, put axle stands under the car just in case it decides to drop and flatten you - this is very important! Once the accumulator is changed, nip the bleed screw back up, re-start the engine, then cycle the suspension from low to high a few times. Top up the LHM if required.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote: Once the accumulator is changed, nip the bleed screw back up, re-start the engine, then cycle the suspension from low to high a few times.
thats not what citroen used to say after opening the hydraulic system Richard,

they used to say open the ( 12mm bolt head ) bleed valve and let the engine idle for about 2 minutes, then whilst holding the rev's around 2.5K close the bleed vavle, job done
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
larkspeed

Post by larkspeed »

Well I have changed the top spheres and that has illiminated the bounce, the accumulator is on order and I should have it tomorrow