What type of paint?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

What type of paint?

Post by Jaf »

Hi folks. Sorry for the very basic question. Fred has suddenly developed terrible faded/ cracked paint on the roof and bonnet. I've found the paint code, EYCC, but have found 3 different types of paint: cellulose, acrylic and base coat. I've only ever used rattle cans before. Also don't know whether to use a lacquer coat. I don't even know if she's metallic paint! Can anyone help? Thanks.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: What type of paint?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Why not go for broke ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J06Zk#t=77

Really however, using a wrap skin on the bonnet and roof is a LOT easier than painting if the car is a little worn.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

EYCC looks like "gris aluminium" - is it?

A silver metallic will have a modified acrylic basecoat applied over 2K urethane primer, and a 2K urethane clearcoat laid over the top. If spraying this at home, read up on the cautions required in both matters of health and application.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Ooh I'm not sure about wrapping. I don't think the local police would like it, they are strangely conservative.

I think the paint is Silver Quartz, but I don't know how to check if it's metallic.

Unfortunately there is no car paint shop round here, the car spares shop only sells rattle cans. The garages must get their paint from somewhere! There are online shops so I'll get in contact with them.

I have used rattle cans and hand brush painted before, but have not used my new electric spray gun before. Will need to read up about thinners too.

Thanks.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's silver, it is metallic.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks, sorry to sound thick. Can't say that Fred's paint looks sparkly, maybe it's all the dust. I did work in garages and they had bodywork shops but it's a good few years ago now! Picked up a few tips, I know it's all in the prep.

Spray painting has got to be easier than hand brush painting a whole vw camper, though there was none of this lacquer business.