Help for a Devon boy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Infinite Granite

Help for a Devon boy?

Post by Infinite Granite »

Hi all

I've stuck a post up on the introductions page, but wanted to drop a line in here in case I'm wasting people's time.

Basically, is there anyone on here who's good with old Citroens? Or know where I should go for help?

My mother in law bought a late 40's H Van and promptly deposited it in my workshop. I can deal with rust and running parts, but the engine I'm slightly lost on to be honest.
The last owner left it sat under a tree for 18 months, everything electrical had corroded so it took me 2 hours to get it started but then it started pissing oil.

Is there anyone who knows about these vans? Specifically the diesel ones? And if not, where do I go for info? Or is there somewhere I might get the equivalent of a Haynes manual for them in English? I've got the French manual my but my technical French is useless to be honest.

I deeply appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Cheers,

Ben
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Help for a Devon boy?

Post by CitroJim »

Where's it leaking oil from Ben?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Infinite Granite

This is my first attempt at posting a picture here so I hope this works!

But it's at the bottom of that cylindrical thing circled in red with a nut at the top of it. It's a mixture of air and oil splattering everywhere. Is it the oil pump?

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Where's it leaking oil from Ben?
Not as many places as it would be if it were old and British...

:rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Where's it leaking oil from Ben?
Not as many places as it would be if it were old and British...

But Mike, that diesel may be British! Might be a Perkins :wink: I have a dim memory that some H Vans did have British diesels... It might be a corrupt memory though :roll:

Ben, that looks like the oil filter cartridge housing...

Take it apart and you'll either find the rubber sealing O ring is displaced or has hardened and perished with age...

Getting a new oil filter may be interesting.

Are you a member of the Citroen Car Club? I ask as they have a thriving H-Van section and may be able to advise on spares and so on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This site might be worth a look. http://www.citroenhyonline.co.uk/hy-technical.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Getting a new oil filter may be interesting.
Getting everyday parts for an H van shouldn't be too difficult, Darrin at Citroen Classics is very knowledgeable and keeps a decent stock of spares for them, take a look here
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or here even

http://www.citroenhyonline.co.uk/suppliers-contacts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.h-van.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.hvanworld.co.uk/parts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://citroenhvan.eu/contact-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Infinite Granite

Crikey you guys are good. Thank you for the help and the warm welcome. T'is very much appreciated.

Ben
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know where you are Ben but there used to be a good Citroen garage in Ottery St Mary.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Peter.N. wrote:Don't know where you are Ben but there used to be a good Citroen garage in Ottery St Mary.

Peter
yep i know the one,
we went to a D technical weekend there a few years ago in my old NA D BX, and although the guys in the workshop were very helpfull as i needed to fit new front pads whilst there, a certain female member of staff/proprietor told us as we went to follow the D's to the pub for a meal, we were not invited to go with them :? :shock:
Regards, malcolm.

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:Don't know where you are Ben but there used to be a good Citroen garage in Ottery St Mary.

Peter
yep i know the one,
we went to a D technical weekend there a few years ago in my old NA D BX, and although the guys in the workshop were very helpfull as i needed to fit new front pads whilst there, a certain female member of staff/proprietor told us as we went to follow the D's to the pub for a meal, we were not invited to go with them :? :shock:
Quite right too, us posh DS owners couldn't possibly be seen in the same company as a scabby BX owner, tut tut Malcolm you pleb getting idea's above your station, how dare you :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
citronut wrote:

Peter
yep i know the one,
Quite right too, us posh DS owners couldn't possibly be seen in the same company as a scabby BX owner, tut tut Malcolm you pleb getting idea's above your station, how dare you :twisted:
I suppose the same applies to us proles who own and run Xantias too...

:twisted:
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DickieG wrote: a scabby BX owner,
ou im not that scabby :shock: :roll: #-o :wink: , and my old NA BX was quite tidy really,

i think she was down right b*l*o*o*d*y rude
Last edited by citronut on 10 Oct 2014, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Here was me thinking that pubs were open to the public?
You shoulda gone along in overalls and hovvered around "the special ones"
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.