Drivers window given up.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Drivers window given up.

Post by xantiagreen »

Today whilst overtaking a slow moving car, I closed the drivers side window which was open about 20cm as it shut complete I heard a loud bang and almost glass like shattering, drivers window is fully intact from what I can see but the window dropped I tried to close it but the mechanism was working but no window up/down. The slow moving driver's curse, Will I need a replacement window arm/electrics or is this a DIY job, I hope I don't have to change the drivers window as all are original citroen marked. Also do all xantia;s have a pearly effect finish on the windscreen, seem to notice it more when looking from side and from top view any reason for that or is it purely for design style.

Kind regards
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Drivers window given up.

Post by CitroJim »

That sounds like the classic broken clip problem that afflicts many S2 Xantias..

It's the clip that forms part of the cable drive mechanism and what connects the mechanism to the glass.

Luckily, the clip is freely available from the 'bay but the small problem you will have is untangling the drive cable and re-threading it on the drive drum.

Somewhere I may still have pictures of it but if push comes to shove you can pop the other side door card off as well and copy from the good one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

AND what fun they are to do! Its easyer to get another winder unit, and swap them over..

NO you do not need to change the glass! Its held onto the winder by a clip..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:AND what fun they are to do! Its easyer to get another winder unit, and swap them over..
That's very true Paul... :-D

If I were the OP I'd be putting up a wanted post for one now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I THINK Im out of S2 winders aswell. The drivers one is Common to ALL S2 Xantias, its the other three that are LX or SX only, where the Exclusives have one touch all round and are unique for rears and front passenger!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

CitroJim wrote:That sounds like the classic broken clip problem that afflicts many S2 Xantias..

It's the clip that forms part of the cable drive mechanism and what connects the mechanism to the glass.

Luckily, the clip is freely available from the 'bay but the small problem you will have is untangling the drive cable and re-threading it on the drive drum.

Somewhere I may still have pictures of it but if push comes to shove you can pop the other side door card off as well and copy from the good one...
If you do find the pics please send across, i won't be tackling the job for another week, just when the cars practically in A1 shape a cplastic part goes pop. Once this is done it's Mot and service, would you recommend the power steering moded pipe thats on offer in the "for sale" section. Thanks
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is probably what you need;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 4abaae958e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

xantiagreen wrote:would you recommend the power steering moded pipe thats on offer in the "for sale" section. Thanks

Check out you pas pice firstly along its steel section along the subframe and along the chassis leg gearbox end.. any serious signs of rust on it then yes good idea. I have one of these kits to fit to a 110 hdi.. In which when I get to fitting it ill do a write up on here for it..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

CitroJim wrote:That sounds like the classic broken clip problem that afflicts many S2 Xantias..

Had a look on bay and there's either one clip in the description or two and also a repair kit, and window guides or sliders two plastic clips. Which one should I get as I haven't had a look at the damage as yet.

Cheers.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have repaired a driver window mechanism, but you do need to look at it first before ordering parts. If, for example, only the clip is damaged then that is all you need. However, if the cables are kinked, or the spool had taken damage, you will need more parts (all these parts had failed on my mechanism, so I ended up getting a replacement, but without the motor, as mine was good). I hope that it is just a clip failure.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I bought a repair kit. The spool was the wrong one, the cables didn't fit but the clip was ok. I'd just buy the clip.
Xantiagreen, if you want to PM me I've got some photos of the mechanism from when I did mine. I'll dig them out for you.
It will have to be this evening, I'm at work at the moment.
HTH
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I have repaired a driver window mechanism, but you do need to look at it first before ordering parts. If, for example, only the clip is damaged then that is all you need. However, if the cables are kinked, or the spool had taken damage, you will need more parts (all these parts had failed on my mechanism, so I ended up getting a replacement, but without the motor, as mine was good). I hope that it is just a clip failure.

Unfortunate as it is the cable is kinked and the slider is stuck to the window and I'm not sure how to take it off and don't know if that is damaged in any way and I don't want to break the window. I've secured the window in closed position with tape. There's a window regulator repair chap in Blackburn who charges £30 to repair the regulator but does not fit them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 25972a65ae" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please could you take a look at this listing and tell me if this is the correct part as it looks the same.

How many sliders should there be as in ebay listing's they show two clips.

Thanks
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That does look like the one I had to sort out in my previous Xantia. Fitting them is not difficult, just fiddly. You will need the slide mechanism to be in a roughly middle position, to allow fitting of the window. The window will also need to be up (so you can get the mechanism into place). I cannot advise on how to remove the slide clip, but it is likely that, on the outside of the windows, there is a retaining clip securing the window to the slide. If you look at the top of the e-bay item, you will see a metal slide with a post (with a groove just down from the top). This is where the retaining clip goes. There is also usually a protective sleeve, to prevent glass to metal contact.

While this part I found probably is NOT the right part for the Xantia, the clip looks a lot like the one on my previous Xantia;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-9 ... 43b66e3c85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:That does look like the one I had to sort out in my previous Xantia. Fitting them is not difficult, just fiddly. You will need the slide mechanism to be in a roughly middle position, to allow fitting of the window. The window will also need to be up (so you can get the mechanism into place). I cannot advise on how to remove the slide clip, but it is likely that, on the outside of the windows, there is a retaining clip securing the window to the slide. If you look at the top of the e-bay item, you will see a metal slide with a post (with a groove just down from the top). This is where the retaining clip goes. There is also usually a protective sleeve, to prevent glass to metal contact.

While this part I found probably is NOT the right part for the Xantia, the clip looks a lot like the one on my previous Xantia;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-9 ... 43b66e3c85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers James, will have to tackle once I decide whether to get the parts, get it repaired or from scrappy. How soon before the passenger regulator conks out, luckily I have the winders on the back.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem with the scrappy is that there are not many Xantias left, so they don't turn up often at the scrappies. You can repair the mechanism, and this is a kit you can get;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 4ab932303d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it is a fiddly job to do. I have done it, and a write up somewhere on the forum (but no pictures, as both hands are needed to stop things coming apart again).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+