xantia spheres removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

xantia spheres removal

Post by bill hughes »

Hi all does anyone know if its possible to buy a tool to remove my front spheres, so far they have resisted all efforts to unscrew them ie. chain strap, large pipe wrench and air chisel, any help would be much appreciated. ps.there is someone on ebay who claims to make them but does not post a picture.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: xantia spheres removal

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The best tool I have used so far (other than a hammer and cold chisel; I kid you NOT) is one shown in Xacs signature. This is what it is;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep,

I'll second that :-D Xac's does work well and is both cheap and easy to make... The only problem with it is that it can't get to a couple of Activa spheres but apart from that, unbeatable...

It's always worth looking out on ebay for a genuine Pleiades tool.

This one on ebay is OK too..

Remember even these tools need percussive assistance from a big hammer (at least a 4lb club hammer) on really tight ones..

A hammer and chisel is the final resort and it's never yet failed me :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you do replace the spheres, it would be a good idea to loosen them off, and then do them back up hand tight (that is all they need) every 6 months or so, as this makes it easy to replace them when the time comes.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
dav3y
My Cars:

Post by dav3y »

I bought one of those ebay tools when i came to do the rears and made the sphere removal hassle free.
Citroen xantia td sx 2000
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: This one on ebay is OK too..

Remember even these tools need percussive assistance from a big hammer (at least a 4lb club hammer) on really tight ones..
I have one of the newer versions of that ebay tool from the same seller which now seems to come with two bolts: (my original one had only one)

For some spheres I found it necessary to remove the second bolt however because it gets fouled by other obstructions on the car.

You'll also need an extension tube to slip over the handle to roughly double the length and a lump hammer to apply percussive assistance as Jim says... :twisted:

My lump hammer is only 2.5 lb but seems to be up to the job. It's similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-HA60 ... B000LFRQ24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A hammer that's too heavy may make the job more difficult because for many of the spheres you're under the car trying to hammer upwards or sideways, holding the hammer above you...

Hitting the handle of the tool not too far up the handle in the right direction to rotate the sphere seems to be the best approach for the really difficult spheres like the front hydractive regulator - because with that one extra leverage from a really long handle will just bend the mounting bracket that the regulator is bolted to!! :shock: Jolting it with the hammer on the other hand will get it undone with much less fuss and without bending the bracket...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

Many thanks for all your suggestions and help but a local garage are changing them for 26 euros and then I've decided to get a 406, too much hassle with Xantia suspension
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

You've tried changing springs and dampers on a "normal" car on your driveway have you? Now *that's* hassle.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

northern_mike wrote:You've tried changing springs and dampers on a "normal" car on your driveway have you? Now *that's* hassle.
And if, as James has suggested, the spheres are loosened and then re-tightened (hand tight) a couple of times a year then they practically fall off when required.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've changed spheres on six Xantias now and never had to use anything other than the tool in this thread. Not even a hammer on it!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:I've changed spheres on six Xantias now and never had to use anything other than the tool in this thread. Not even a hammer on it!
You have been very lucky Mike :)

I wish I could say the same. There have been occasions when I've had no option to use a hammer and chisel and I very much regret to say that on one occasion it was on one of your old cars :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I know that as well Jim! I've never even used an extension tube on it either.

bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

Thanks northern mike for your comments, in reply I've changed springs and shock absorbers many times in the last 50 years but must admit I've always had the luxury of a ramp having run tyre businesses, however they would not have helped me remove my spheres, my car has 253.000 miles on the clock, the engine is perfect but the rest is showing its age, I cant complain as it was a gift from a mate but I wouldn't have bought a xantia out of choice, don't know enough about them, I also note from your list of cars that you don't seem to own one either, any reason? Bill.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bill hughes wrote:I also note from your list of cars that you don't seem to own one either, any reason? Bill.
Mike has owned more Xantias than most of us have had hot dinners Bill. He's had just about every version too, including diesels, Activas and V6s...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

bill hughes wrote:I also note from your list of cars that you don't seem to own one either, any reason? Bill.
All the good ones left are owned by people on here who don't want to sell them for what I want to pay. I've moved up (or down, depending on your view) to C5s now.

I've had, I think, 12 Xantias. The only models I haven't had are the 2.0 Petrol Turbo Estate and the VSX models from the series 1.

The fact yours has 253k on it shows how reliable they are if maintained properly.