Model Variation confusion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Model Variation confusion

Post by MikeT »

As I'm looking to replace my Xantia, I'm acutely aware of my own ignorance of not only the model types (C1-C8, DS etc) but the trims specs (ie SX, Exclusive, VTR, VTX +) too. Then there's MkII's and Facelifts. If that's not confusing enough for the average punter I find it's further compounded by things like the Picasso versions of the Xsara, C4 etc, etc. (I won't mention the specials and limited editions at this point) :rofl2:

Is there a go-to table that is easily understandable for simpletons like me? I would assume not but it would be great if it does exist as I'm no doubt limiting my choices by my own ignorance.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Model Variation confusion

Post by qprdude »

Let me know if you find a list Mike.
It is truly bewildering.
There seems to be a wealth of optional extras within each model . It depends sometimes on what the original purchaser wanted as well as what came as "standard".
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

As far as manuals go, here's a good spot for all of the active models: http://service.citroen.com/ddb/#top/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... as for the trims, you're down to each individual car brochure, to find the trim details ... and then, it depends on the market/country, how detailed they are ... it can vary from 5-10 items to 40-50 ... seen a lot of them for different countries, the difference is huge ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I've seen two supposedly same year, same model with half a dozen different options fitted, sometimes more. Looks like it's a matter of getting hold of the relevant handbook for the year, then sitting in the car to see what it has as regards options. Checking which switches are fitted and which are blanked is a good starting point to see what you have, then going through the various lighting options. Two years + down the line with my C5 X7 and I'm still finding stuff. I've no idea what was standard in the car at manufacture, and what was optional (except that the Sat Nav and Sunroof was not standard in the Exclusive!) :? :? :?
Rick.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

One of my weakest qualities is never asking the right questions and I think I've clearly not asked the right question here. Yes, options alone are bewlidering but as a prime example. How can you have a Picasso, a Grand Picasso, that is also a xsara and a C4 (and I believe a C7/8?). I don't know, it makes my mind turn to mush.

But for my own needs - is the C5 the only model left with hydraulic suspension as that's pivotal to my personal choice? And of those hydraulicly-suspended models, which are the variants (VTX? VTR? + Exclusive?) and what do they classify exactly? I find it amazing that they can produce idential cars where one has manual window winders (old skool) or electric windows, or... and this really befuddles me, electric fronts with manual rears! The questions just keep coming and it makes me feel like I'm playing pin the tail on the donkey or buying a lucky dip.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

C5 - 2000 to 2007 Phase one and two ALL have hydraulic suspension, which uses a long life LHS fluid and double diaphram spheres.

As for Trim, originally LX, SX, Exclusive and Exclusive SE . YES two seperate exclusive trims! Sat nav ALWAYS an option on all levels.

VTR and VTR plus added from around 03, which have 16" alloys and added rear wiper to the trim!

C5 from 2007 onwards ONLY the Exclusive Trim level has the C6 type Hydraulic syspesnion fitted, other wise they use standard 407 type spring suspesnion. As for X7 trim levels, options were on all, making them more a custom spec rather then an outright trim level.

Does that help with your question Mike?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

The C5 X7 is the only "current" model with Hydraulic suspension and is only available on the Exclusive variant. The others in the range are now steel sprung.
Not certain but I think there is still an SX in the UK range, then the VTR , VTR + Nav and the Exclusive. There are more models (or different named ones) available abroad, but I think the Exclusive is the top of the range. I've not heard of an Exclusive "SE" in the X7 range in the UK.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ qpr - or you can go my way, and try to fit everything in the car that you currently don't have ... :D ... regarding the latest C5 X7, here's a pretty good brochure, which covers a lot of info in one place: http://www.filedropper.com/citroenc5-c5tourerbrochureen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... as for the models name, in Croatia we have Attraction / Seduction / Exclusive for the C5s (pre-facelift X7 at least)
Last edited by vborovic on 02 Oct 2014, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

MikeT wrote:One of my weakest qualities is never asking the right questions and I think I've clearly not asked the right question here. Yes, options alone are bewlidering but as a prime example. How can you have a Picasso, a Grand Picasso, that is also a xsara and a C4 (and I believe a C7/8?). I don't know, it makes my mind turn to mush.
This one is fairly easy... Xsara is a small family sized car, the C4 is its successor. Picasso is the 5 seater MPV of each, Grand Picasso is the 7 seater one (i believe of only the C4).. if you really want to be confused, the 7 seater is called a "Leisure - Estate" in the Citroen Service site.:)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I've got a headache.
Rick.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citroenxm wrote:C5 - 2000 to 2007 Phase one and two ALL have hydraulic suspension, which uses a long life LHS fluid and double diaphram spheres.

As for Trim, originally LX, SX, Exclusive and Exclusive SE . YES two seperate exclusive trims! Sat nav ALWAYS an option on all levels.

VTR and VTR plus added from around 03, which have 16" alloys and added rear wiper to the trim!

C5 from 2007 onwards ONLY the Exclusive Trim level has the C6 type Hydraulic syspesnion fitted, other wise they use standard 407 type spring suspesnion. As for X7 trim levels, options were on all, making them more a custom spec rather then an outright trim level.

Does that help with your question Mike?
It does help greatly, thanks. I'm taken to the look of the MKII C5 or thought I was until I saw one that looked more similar to an audi/bmw (is it the "facelift" variant of the MKII C5 or a MKIII?) See how easily confused I am? :oops: I've not seen many later than 2005 models I could afford but I'm grateful you've alerted me to the loss of hydraulics from later C5's. (Typically, one question answered but created another to replace it) Out of curiousity, is the only other current model with hydraulic suspension the C6 now?

Ben82 wrote:This one is fairly easy... Xsara is a small family sized car, the C4 is its successor. Picasso is the 5 seater MPV of each, Grand Picasso is the 7 seater one (i believe of only the C4).. if you really want to be confused, the 7 seater is called a "Leisure - Estate" in the Citroen Service site.:)
Again, thank you, that explains why the double-barrel naming convention. I'm pretty sure I won't be looking to buy a Picasso but it's bugged me since my search began
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

C5 Mk1

Mk1 Facelift

C5 X7
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

There is the mark 1 then the facelift, then the X7, which I suspect is the one you find a bit Audi/ BMW- ish. It's radically different in shape and more or less a total redesigned interior. The exclusive is for you if you need Hydraulic suspension. The 2008 car (the earliest one) came in 1'6, 2.0 and 2.2 HDI. Later cars were upgraded rapidly. The early cars had no Bluetooth for instance, with the in car phone system requiring you to fit your SIM card into a slot. They have loads of goodies but are probably more complex electronically than the facelift cars. Lovely car to drive. The 1.6HDI is known to have turbo issues I think and the 2.2 HDI is a thirsty bugger. Seems like the 2.0 l is the best mix of power and economy. You can pick up an X7 for around £4000 now but they will probably be around cam belt change mileage time and maybe even FAP I think.
Rick.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Ooh, another thought - does the VTX C5 exist or are they typos? I'm sure I've seen at least two advertised as such?

Thanks for the pix SF, I believe this is what I saw that looks similar (in the side lines, to me at least) to the audi/bmw style? I'm probably mistaken but isn't that different to the facelift you posted? (I can't tell from that pic, maybe colour has more profound effect?)

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Typo I think, or someone who can't be bothered to look at the car. VTR and VTR + Nav (Steel sprung)
That's an X7 in your pic. 2008>
Rick.