DMF advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: DMF advice please

Post by citroenxm »

RichardW wrote:
What's getting the starter out like? I can't even see the things on either of mine!
Urrrm, they are ok. But what I discovered is remove the front pipe to middle section from the car, just two O clamps, it comes away as it goes over the top of the subframe, this gives a bit more room.. then a single 16mm bolt holds a black box with two Vacuum pipes on it in place, remove one pipe and move the box to the side, you can then get at two of the 6mm headded bolts from under the car, and the third bolt you go at from under the bonnet, on the C5 remove the air intake pipe and air cleaner, and the top bolt is just inline roughtly with the earth bolt...

Well, we are gonna get one more second hand starter, and then decide what we are gonna do then.

I STILL maintain the best HDi they ever had was the 8v unit from the Xantia!! Im sorely tempted to remove and chuck away the 1.6 DV6 and swap the DW10 and AL4 auto box out of my Mk.1 C5 and into this more attractive Phase 2 in silver....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry Paul I had missed that. Have you checked the earth connection to the engine?

Peter
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

although I realise there's a cost involved using a second hand starter may just give you more problems Was the replacement starter new, recon or s/h? Recon electrical items do tend to be of variable quality. Electrics are not really my speciality but it seems to me it's the starter that's faulty (again). It is unlikely to be the DMF as the bit the starter turns is the solid bit. The dmfs on citroens are slightly different in design to the ford ones which cause starter damage. In the Ford case it's filings off of the rivet heads which clog up and burn out starters, but that's easily visible anyway
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Your engine and box combo in the C5r wouldn't work Paul as the ecus and wiring changed from the original. It's possible if you have lots and lots of time but I suspect you wouldn't have that much time on your hands. Best just to get the motor replaced and move onto the 2.0 engine instead as it's easy enough to put the solid flywheel and clutch from the older 8v engines onto these and bet you have a few around you could get the flywheels from :)