Buying a used C1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sod

Buying a used C1

Post by Sod »

I'm new on this forum, so apologies if I don't get the conventions right!

Having owned oleo-pneumatic Citroens for over thirty years (GS, GSA, BX, Xantia), we need to buy a first car for our daughter to drive, and have decided on a petrol 5-door C1. I would very much appreciate some advice on items to look out for when buying a used C1, things that need checking closely, weaknesses, etc.. I've looked through the forum, but have not succeeded in finding a thread on this subject - sorry if I've missed something obvious.

With thanks in anticipation!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Buying a used C1

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :welc:

At this moment there are two members to my knowledge who have C1s, and they are both recent purchases. Hopefully they can offer advice.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Welcome along, C1is a great choice, as they are pretty much bomb proof.
We service literally hundreds, and not much goes wrong.
No1 fault is the clutch, these wear pretty quickly, I think that generally people rev the little engine too much due to its unusual sound, so this takes its toll. Replacement at 20,000 miles is not that unusual, we charge £300 all in, so not an expensive job really. Sometimes the clutch actually breaks, and gear selection is difficult, crunching into every gear.
A slight crunch into reverse and even 1st is pretty normal, even with a new car.
2nd fault is the water pump, we have probably replaced about 5, again not expensive at about £130 all in.
3rd thing is the very ends of the front to rear brake pipes. We have had to replace a few of the earlier cars, as the plastic coating doesn't go to the end of the pipe, and the exposed part rots away.
We have had the odd power steering ecu failure, this seems to fail on higher mileage cars, and is very expensive, but does seem very rare, think we have done about 3.
Generally they are so good , front tyres wear out at about 20k miles, but again are cheap, front discs and pads last @ 25/30 k.
Hope all this helps.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I forgot about the professional mechanics on the forum! Sorry about that, guys!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Have a look on C1oc.com it's full of youngsters with wide wheels etc but have a wealth of knowledge about them. I had a 09 pug 107, the same car and had not 1 problem in 60000 odd miles. I never even had to do brakes. Fantastic little cars.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Sod

Post by Sod »

Many thanks for your much-valued advice - I now feel much more confident in buying a C1. I'm also impressed by your enthusiasm for the car - thanks again!
Sod

Post by Sod »

Armed with your excellent advice, I have now bought an 11-plate VTR, and am delighted with it. Thank you again!