Berlingo Noisy Drive Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davey
My Cars:

Berlingo Noisy Drive Belt

Post by davey »

Can anyone help?
Have a berlingo 1.9d (dw8 engine) with a/c. just above idle the drive belt vibrates badly (between crank and a/c compressor)making a terrible racket (at higher revs its ok). Had belt replaced but still does the same. The eccentric roller is in the fully tight position and it has a dreaded dynamic tensioner which appears to work. any ideas? its driving me nuts!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Davey -
Since the belt has been replaced no joy - it seems obvious the problem is elsewhere.
This could easily be one of the belt wheels being out of true - either direction. Even a minor garage service damage could cause this.
If the a/c is turned off - the beltwheel usually runs on an idler bearing which could be the problem.
Whatever the problem - it's commonly a simple procedure to recon any problem on belt wheels involved - with belt off.
Sure the tensioner is dynamic ? - i.e. should it rather be locked once a new belt is tightened by the tensioner ?
- since that's the common procedure on toothed cam belts.
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

Cheers for help Mr AndersDK.
Had the damn thing back to the garage a couple of times as originally had drive belt replaced with cam belt.
It definately has a dynamic tensioner as remember the mechanic complaining bitterly(also managed to get photocopy of procedure and diagram from citroen)that every citroen i've brought in (previously had xantias) has some different method of keeping belt tight.
Did have identical prob with xantia & a/c but new belt cured it. funny enough a mate of mine has peugeot with same noise but he just tolerates it.
With vibration between crank and a/c pulleys; does this mean one of those is out of true? nothing appears out of the ordinary when on the ramp.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The V-depth on any wheel could be out of true -
But the problem could simply be the belt in resonance with the engine vibrations - then it points to the dynamic tensioner NOT doing it's job properly for any reason.
Only other reason I could think of would be that this particular belt has a special Citroen spec.
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

Hi, not sure if this is the same problem but here goes anyway.....
I've got a '04 berlingo (new)....
On startup(high tickover),about 1800rpm and just above 3000rpm there is a very very ominous noise/vibration/resonance.....
Its mostly comming from the exhaust, 'cause if i get someone to put their foot at the rear of the exhaust,it gets rid of it.... It is caused by the engine vibrating though.... the exhaust is ridgidly bolted to the motor and acts as an amplifier in this case!!!!
Again, im goin mad here...... any info would be really really apreciated >>>>> Kev....