Xantia front accumulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia front accumulator

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It has to be done this way, as the rear brakes appear to be fed from the rear suspension, and if there isn't any weight on a rear wheel there won't be any pressure going to the rear brakes. I have tried bleeding the rear brakes with both off the ground, and got nothing. Once one wheel was bearing weight I got a flow from the other side.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.
foeism
My Cars:

Re: Xantia front accumulator- update & question

Post by foeism »

Ok a very productive day

Changed the cam & aux belts.....

The I thought right let's do the front & rear accumulator...

Did the front accumulator sphere first, set the suspension to high on axle stands, undid the 12mm bolt on the side of the accumulator, To be honest the sphere cam of really easy, and the 12mm bolt seemed loose!

Anyway went to the back to do the anti sink sphere,

The car was already on axle stands, so I undid the hydraulic screw on the back of the sphere, and started to undo the anti sink sphere. I then realised that I did not fully remove the pipe from the sphere, so i pulled the pipe out and s**t the bed a massivepressue pop and I was covered in LHM fluid and it's gone everywhere, judt to point out LHM fluid tastes ok, but may make you hallucinate 8-[

So what did I do wrong?

I think because I did not set the suspension setting to low, and the setting was still on high it did not de-pressurise...maybe?

Anyway all done now, and the breaks bled, bloody hell what a difference, no more clicking and the breaks.......my god they are sooooo much stiffer and responsive!

Next job, next month the front and rear suspension spheres.

Two questions;

Should the orange disc on LHM nipple, be between the two red lines when on low or high?

And I've noticed the o/s rear is lower than the n/s rear, I can get my two fingers between the wheel and the arch on the n/s, but can bearly get one finger between the wheel and the arch on the o/s, is this because the suspension spheres need replacing?

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is possible the sphere had ruptured. This normally results in the next person replacing the sphere getting an LHM shower!

The orange umbrella should be between the two rings when on high (and the car is parked on level ground).

EDIT; The fact the brakes are better would suggest the sphere had ruptured, as the nitrogen would have got into the brake lines and produced a soggy response.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Ah I see, what can cause a antisink sphere to rupture? And so it wasn't due to the suspension being set on high?

thanks for the prompt reply.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot promise that it wasn't due to the suspension being high, as there could be pressure on the system.

Spheres rupture when their internal pressure drops too low. This is why they need to be replaced (or re-gassed) every couple of years or so.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+