Xantia front accumulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

foeism
My Cars:

Xantia front accumulator

Post by foeism »

Hi

My front accumulator (1998 2.1 TD sx ) is clicking a lot, and would now like to change it before it effects anything else.

My question is, is ok to just change the front accumulator, or do all the spheres at once?

Also do the breaks have to be bled if only the front accumulator is changed?

Advice always appreciated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia front accumulator

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the clicking is less than 30 seconds between clicks it needs replacing or re-gassing. If your car has it I would also replace the anti sink sphere at the same time (as there is no easy way to know when it is also on its way out). One of the things the accumulator sphere does is to smooth out the pressure surges the pump generates. If the sphere has failed the surges get out into the pipework and can cause failures.

I always bleed the brakes when I have worked on the hydraulics. When you swap an accumulator (or anti sink) sphere you cannot avoid getting air into the system, and as these feed the brakes, well, you get the idea.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Thanks for the reply Hell razor

Good point about replacing both and yes ut's clicking every 12-15 seconds, also a bouncy ride!
The anti sink sphere, is that the one at the middle in the rear?

Where is the best place to purchase the accumulator and anti sink spheres?

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, the anti sink sphere is the middle rear one.

I recently replaced all 6 spheres on Gracie, and I ordered them from AEP Direct. The total cost was around £150 (free P&P over £50 orders). Make sure to give the vehicle registration so they can ensure they supply the right spheres. At least 2 spheres had a date only a couple of months prior to my order.

If you haven't already done so, make up the DIY tool explained in Xac signature. It does work (although space is limited around the accumulator sphere). Also make sure you have a 4.5 LHM pipe seal (as the anti sink sphere has a pipe screwed into it unlike the other spheres) in case the original one is damaged. A useful thing to do is to pop an old square section 'O' ring onto the new anti sink sphere when you fit it, as it helps limit rust binding it onto the mounting bracket.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Yes, the anti sink sphere is the middle rear one.

I recently replaced all 6 spheres on Gracie, and I ordered them from AEP Direct. The total cost was around £150 (free P&P over £50 orders). Make sure to give the vehicle registration so they can ensure they supply the right spheres. At least 2 spheres had a date only a couple of months prior to my order.

If you haven't already done so, make up the DIY tool explained in Xac signature. It does work (although space is limited around the accumulator sphere). Also make sure you have a 4.5 LHM pipe seal (as the anti sink sphere has a pipe screwed into it unlike the other spheres) in case the original one is damaged. A useful thing to do is to pop an old square section 'O' ring onto the new anti sink sphere when you fit it, as it helps limit rust binding it onto the mounting bracket.
AEP Direct, thats a good price!
I'm sure Zidane would benifit from a new set of spheres!
Yes I have already purchased the "tool" from ebay ready last month in readyness, limited budget means buying things month by month, so may get just the front accumulator and rear middle sphere for now.
I have also borrowed a pair of car ramps as feel this will be easier to work on.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is the DIY tool that Xac came up with;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you replace the spheres you only need to do them up hand tight. You will need a good 8mm spanner (I think I have got the right size) for the anti sink sphere pipe. A useful thing to do is to loosen off the spheres and then do them up hand tight again every 6 months, as it stops them binding and making it difficult to remove them when the time comes to replace them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Good idea

Yeah the tool was from a guy off ebay dexy350

Also on the AEP website it shows two spheres for the front, what's the difference between a front accumulator sphere and a front regulator sphere? And which one is appropriate for my car?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The difference in spheres might be to allow for hydractive suspension. A basic setup has 6 spheres (accumulator, anti sink, and the struts), a hydractive has 8 (similar 6 plus the pair needed to switch between comfort and sport setting), while an Activa has 10 (similar to hydractive, but with another pair for the Activa active suspension).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Excellent

Thank you for your help, appreciate it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You are welcome.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: Re: Xantia front accumulator

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

superloopy wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:This is the DIY tool that Xac came up with;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you replace the spheres you only need to do them up hand tight. You will need a good 8mm spanner (I think I have got the right size) for the anti sink sphere pipe. A useful thing to do is to loosen off the spheres and then do them up hand tight again every 6 months, as it stops them binding and making it difficult to remove them when the time comes to replace them.
9mm I think for the antisink.
Quite possibly. I was going from memory. I replaced the spheres back in June.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It is 9 mm, a brake spanner is the best tool for it. I have one. Or is that the Activa balance sphere? I forget which I bought it for now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Thanks gents 9mm brake spanner it is.

Before changing the front accumulator, I read somewhere to turn a small valve going into to it, before removing it, half a turn to release some pressure, is this true? and is it ht e same for the rear anti sink sphere?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The following link should cover all your queries;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
foeism
My Cars:

Post by foeism »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The following link should cover all your queries;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link

I have read this several times now, as I will be attempting to change the front accumulator and rear anti sink this saturday :? :)

The only thing I would like to clarify is the bleeding of the rear brakes. The front ones are easy as the car will be up on stands.
Is there really no other way to bleed them other tham having the one side wheel on the gound and the other wheel removed and up on a stand?