Saxo poor running problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Saxo poor running problem.

Post by sandybx »

Dear All.
My daughters '99 1.4 8v Saxo sx automatic is playing up.
She brought the car back to me about a month ago now because the engine for some strange reason it just dies. The car would then re start ok until it would cut out again, this has happened to me 3 times in the first few days of me having the car back.
The car was runnning like this for four days starting first turn of the key and without any throttle and was correct amount of fast idle. Then one day it went mad reving up to 2,500 rpm all on its own, even once the revs had calmed down a bit the engine still carried on cutting out.
The coil pack was the original one so I renewed with a brand new one, I also renewed the crank sensor ( which was renewed 4k miles ago ) anyway. I have also renewed the idle air valve with a brand new one and I have carried out an electronic reset of the tps twice now.
At the moment the car will not start unless I give it half a throttle pedal of throttle and won,t even run right, the engine seems to be hunting quite alot. The only thing that makes the engine to start and run any better is if I undo the jubilee clip that holds the air filter assembly on and pull it away from the throttle body to create a gap.
I have found that the air filter element is a quite grubby so I removed it out of the equasion and the engine is back to not starting again without lots of throttle bieng applied.
The engine revs over 2, 500 rpm nicely and sounds pretty good and definately no repeats of the head gasket problems that were sorted out 4k miles ago either :) The crank sensor, the coolant temperature sensor for the ecu and the fast idle sensors were all renwed 4k miles ago now. The complete exhaust system including the cat and the oxygen sensor were renewed when we bought the Saxo.
I will be trying a new fuel fiter next in a hope to the car running properly again.
Any help or advice would be very very gratefully received :) :wink:
Many Thanks Indeed,
Vince.
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
sandybx

Re: Saxo poor running problem.

Post by sandybx »

Dear All,
Today, I just wanted to give an " update " on the problems I am having with the Saxo :)
Upto now I have renewed the air filter element the fuel filter and also the fuel pump relay :) The battery died so that has been renewed aswell. All with no effect on how rhubarb the Saxo is running :!: Today I also removed the exhaust to rule out the cat. :wink:
At the moment I seem to have a couple of problems, one of which is the fact that ( even with the old battery in place ) the battery voltage reading is 12.30 V but if I take another reading from the ignition feed on the fuel pump, underneath the rear seat I only a reading of 11.28 V :?: The other problem I am having is that from F 9 under the bonnet fuse box I am only getting 1.8 A when I should be getting a reading of at least 4 A :?:
Any very very kind help or advice would be very gratefully received indeed =D>
Many Thanks indeed :)
Vince,
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks for the update, and I'm sorry you've not resolved the Saxo's problem, nor had any replies to your post.

My knowledge of modern petrol engines is minimal, but maybe someone will be along with helpful comments. Not sure how many on this Forum have experience of Saxo's. Good luck.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The voltage and amperage drops do seem strange. I wonder if you are suffering the problem with aging battery leads that occurs on Xantias. It could be worth checking out;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=38273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Vince,

My daughter had a Pug 206 with the same engine as your daughter's Saxo. Now she has a 207 with the same engine but that's another story...

Thing is that Robyn's 206 did the same and I cured it by firstly completely re-initialising the engine ECU using the Peugeot Planet diagnostics and then giving the idle control valve and its housing a really good clean.

If you are reasonably local to me and want to try the same I'd be happy to do the same to the Saxo on the Pug Planet.

Robyn's 207 has been fine and so far has not suffered the same problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I did similar on the 206 that's replaced the 306 I used to service, though I just left the battery disconnected for ages and cleaned the ICV.

I'd forgotten I have Planet!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is the idle control valve on this car a stepper motor type ? cutting out one minute then revving up by itself the next minute is classic symptoms of a sticking idle control valve/stepper motor, 9 times out of 10 you don't need to replace it, just giving it and the housing it sits in a good proper clean. you need to get right into the housing with carb cleaner then in with a screwdriver with a rag on the end of it, can stress how important the cleaning of the housing is. once you refit it you should turn the ignition on for 20 seconds then of for 20 seconds, repeat this 5 times, this should resent the stepper motor end positions, if you have Lexia you should also reset the auto adaptive functions if the ECU supports.
The volt drop at the pump is a strange one, this might be a daft question but your not measuring the fuel sender wire by mistake are you ? a 1.8 amp draw on a fuel pump is way too low, a reading that low would normally suggest to me that the car had run out of fuel.
If you are on the right wire then you need to find out where the volt drop is. Do you have a wiring diagram for the injection system ?
sandybx

Post by sandybx »

Dear All
Firstly thank you all very very much indeed for all of your valued help and advice =D>
It turned out to be a faulty map sensor, I only fitted a brand new one 4k miles ago :roll: Saxo is now starting and idling correctly and without any throttle bieng applied :)
I have fitted another new one now and even managed to road test to ensure everything is still ok with it =D> :)
Many Thanks indeed =D>
Vince,
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Well done!

I was scratching my head as it seemed you had already changed the usual suspects (temp and ICV).

Think the MAP sensor is often overlooked, although it is easy enough to get at :D

Wheeler: the ICV on all but the SPI models are a plunger style bolted to the rear of the manifold. The SPI ones are a huge thing that manipulates the throttle arm itself #-o
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o