2005 c5 2.0hdi suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markt242
New User

2005 c5 2.0hdi suspension

Post by markt242 »

Hi Folks,
new to the forum, I'm hoping you can help!
I have a 2005 Mk 2 C5 VTR 2.0Hdi hatch back.
For some reason the car is nodding, not noticeable when driving but is when at a standstill, also lots of whirring & clicking going on, though this stops after a while when stopped & locked.
Other than this the suspension all works ok.
One other question which I guess is common, how can I change the driver's side front sidelight bulb as I can't get at it?????!!!!

Here's hoping, this is my first C5 & I love it! Had 5 Xantia's before!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 2005 c5 2.0hdi suspension

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum :-D

I believe you need to look at the C5 analogue to the Xantia height corrector which I think in the C5 is an electronic potentiometer (like a volume control). These can get noisy tracks and certainly would cause nodding...

I'm sure a person who nows the C5 better than I will be along shortly...

I do know about the bulbs though :twisted: I've done one and it was a real struggle to do in-situ and I could only do it because I have quite small and girly hands. Even then they got ripped to shreds and I fancy I needed tweezers and blu-tak to complete the job!!

It was a horrible and miserable experience.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: 2005 c5 2.0hdi suspension

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
You're full of the joys today Jim :-p

Welcome Mark. The bulbs are a bit of a fiddle. I've done a couple. The first one was a pig but I'll have to look at my C5 later when I get home to work out how I did it. My hands aren't as feminine as Jim's you see.
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Not sure about the nodding suspension, it could be the height sensor so may need adjusting.

On the sidelights, yes they are fiddly but can be done. See this topic for a bit more on this....

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=48959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Luck

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If you are constantly driving over speedhumps the car senses this and raises a little for extra clearance. I drive down a road every day going to work that has 10 speedhumps and i find the car will raise as i drive down the road, it then goes down again while i wait at the traffic lights at the bottom of the road.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re: 2005 c5 2.0hdi suspension

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
You're full of the joys today Jim :-p
No, I'm absolutely fine and happy Mike... I was describing something that was horrible and miserable in the past tense. Nothing is horrible and miserable in the current tense :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

This is not looking good. I have a blown drivers side light, and I have shovels for hands. :cry:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I shall do mine at the weekend and take some pics. They told me I couldn't do it last time, and I did. They also told me it was impossible to do the Berlingo without removing bits and pieces too, and I did it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I managed every bulb on my first c5, which was a 2003 with the same lights as yours Mike. I have different lights in shape as well as mine are the fancy swivelling hid jobbies.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citro6hydra
My Cars: C5 2006 2.0l petrol auto
C5 2007 HDI auto
C5 2006 HDI
C5 2006 HDI bought damaged under repair

Post by citro6hydra »

Hi, It is possible your problem could be caused by mechanical clearances in the suspension system or perhaps more correctly between the suspension and the potentiometer which provides feedback to the suspension height control system.

The height control system receives its information on vehicle height via the potentiometer which senses the angular position of the roll bar which is connected to the rear suspension arm or front strut.

To enable the control system to accurately ascertain the actual height of the vehicle in relation to the reference position ie. the height selected and appearing on the display, it is essential that there is no clearance in any of the suspension components in the feedback path such as roll bar bushes, drop links, the small link between the potentiometer and roll bar, and that the potentiometer mounting is firm. The potentiometers themselves are generally pretty reliable unless there is water ingress.

The system uses proportional control which means that if there is any clearance then the suspension can and make a large height corrections before the control system knows about it via the potentiometer, and this can lead to hunting where the suspension oscillates up and down and the amplitude of the oscillation is related to the amount of clearance.

Probably the best common example of proportional control is a toilet cistern which when empty initially fills at a fast rate then as the correct level is approached slows and when set level is reached stops.

Hope this helps, be sure to post the fix.