Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi All,

Been a while again but have need to ask some questions.

Have been hearing a knocking noise coming from the steering and suspension to front right.

I recently got the wheels aligned due to some odd wear on the tyre to front left. When they did the work he said the connector rods to the steering were seized on the right side and he couldn't move it.

He could move the left side and the problem wheel is now aligned, (at no charge due to prob with right side). This has made a big difference and the steering is now straight and true and there is no odd wear on the new tyre. (I got a Uniroyal for £20 from the scrap yard).

He said the knocking noise could be connected to the seized joints, and so am trying to find out if this common, any advice, how easy is it to replace joints etc myself?

Would like to sort this as the car has been good and that is about all that is wrong with it. Have got M.O.T coming up in Oct and im hoping this won't be a prob for mot, if i cant fix it.

Cheers in advance,

Steve
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Citroen Xantia H.d.i SX

Post by Peter.N. »

Its probably the anti roll bar drop links, not expensive but you might have to cut the old ones off.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If it is the drop links check out carparts4less for replacements. I recently got a pair of Lemforder drop links for under £40, delivered within a week;

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/C ... 830&000016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Citronut highly recommends this make, as they don't give up within a few years/20,000 miles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Steve,

I recently found both my O/S and N/S track rod ends were seized with the track rod, one was loosened with heat but the other was knackered. II changed one track rod and replaced both ends with new and plenty of copper grease.

The knocking will most likely be drop links as suggested. If you hold the ball joint and move anti roll bar you will feel movement. Simply replace both and knocking will be gone.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Post by stevestix8 »

Thanks for responses people, always appreciated.

Feels a bit de ja vuey as I only replaced the drop links about a year ago. Was a nice job to do and it did make some difference.

According to the bloke who did the wheel alignment, ATS in Stroud, its seized (rusted) where the rods meets the steering, and he tried heating it it and hitting it to free it up no luck on the right side, the left side did free up and so he aligned the problem wheel, which seems to be fine and much better than it was. Is just luck that the right side is seized in the straight position.

The steering feels fine and the car generally is good, no complaints at all. Apart from this occasional knocking, again only on dodgy roads, on good roads and motorways there is no knocking.

Thanks again,

Steve