Xantia Heater Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

ACCESSING IGNITION SWITCH
I can nowconfirm that accessing the ignition switch does indeed require removing the steering wheel, as was recently described.
However, the wiring to the iginition switch passes to the left below the steering column, and may be adequately accessable by releasing the panel that continues
forward of the lower half of the shroud around the steering column.
Behind this lower panel you will find (on Right Hand Drive Cars) 3 of 2 way connectors with heavy gauge wires. The brown connector is the one that is energised
when the ignition switch reaches the second position, and I think that this one carries current to the heater fan.
I have taken colour photos of the area revealed inside the steering shroud, and can make these available with further information after we return from our driving
holiday to Brisbane.
Meanwhile, I found that the fan is behaving normally since I injected 1/4cc of silicone lubricant (Amway WONDER MIST) into the square hole in the top of the steel housing for the ignition switch. But I am taking the soldering iron and a handful of Bosch mini-relays on holidays with us, rather than complete the bypass procedure by further delaying our departure.
It is my intention to shunt current through relays for each of the 3 circuits to the ignition switch, and to mount the relays where they can be accessed/replaced without having to disassemble anything.
I've noticed a consistent delay between getting the engine fired up and the heater blower switching in, which suggests that the ECU may be bringing it in via a relay once the engine revs have stabilized. If there were to be a heater blower relay, where would it be located ?
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

In my Xantia ('98) there's also a delay (several seconds) before heater blower switching in. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue about the relay position (mine is LHD anyway).
Also, I noticed that shrouds around the steering column are slightly different than in pictures in Haynes. Are those the reason why it's necesarry to remove the steering wheel (at least on RHD cars)? In my car, it's simply upper and lower half, so I think they can come off without removing the wheel.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Alex - beware -
Haynes may be using a picture from the earlier (series 1) Xantia - which may not match your '98 model layout.
Often the pictures/schematics in Haynes should NOT be taken for granted - but as examples for the repair work explained.
I can not give any clues on this specific issue - as my Xantia Haynes copy only covers models up to & including '95 models.
Merry Xmas [^]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Yes, I know ... unfortunately ...
I'm asking this because I'm planing to take the control panel off, to replace a blown bulb. But I'll leave it for the future ... it's not pleasant to work on the car at zero deg. C.
Merry Xmas and happy New '04 to everybody on this forum !
Woody260
My Cars:

Post by Woody260 »

Thanks Alan....re posting my auto electricians name and contact details....I will.just as soon as I find out what his name is...All is still going well tho. I seem to have opened a can of worms with my heater fan probs.I just hope anyone else who has problems can get them sorted too! But this forum is great.at least all of us Citroen types can swop info...Wish I'd discovered it sooner. Thanks for everyones input and I wish you all, wherever in the World you may be, a Wonderful Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!!!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Chaps, when air conditioning is fitted there is always a delay before the fan operates as it is controlled by an ECU which monitors such things as direction of flow, temperature set and temperature of the engine etc. i.e. there is no point in having the fan blow cold air when temp is set to hot, so it will not blow fast until the engine temperature is up to at least 60 degrees C.
Basically its what is called 'climate control', in other words you are not in complete control but the person who devised the ECU is because he/she knows 'best'!
The position of the relay does vary, on my 98 estate it is next to the heater fan, but on my 97 hatch its somewhere else.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well ... there are different air conditioners
On Xantia, direction of flow isn't CPU controlled, like in C5. Flaps inside ventilation unit are directly connected to upper two levers on the control unit with four cables. Only flaps that mix hot and cold air are CPU controlled.
When blower switch is set to 'AUTO' position, it won't blow fast first minute or so. Obviously, blower is CPU controlled at this position (probably that's the reason why it is called 'AUTO'). But, at positions 1-4 there is no difference whether the engine is at working temperature or not (or at least I didn't notice any difference so far).
Xantia mk I is not fitted with heater blower relay (according to Haynes).
thomas
My Cars:

Post by thomas »

I have facelift Xantia 2.0 hdi with climate control. I have problem with heater blower & heated rear screen not working both stopped at same time. I have replaced ignition switch but problem not cured, column covers removed easily without removing steering wheel. I have been told may be problem with internal link in fuse box but cannot find any wiring diagrams that cover this model. How is fuse box removed from panel so as to investigate connections at rear, are any wiring diagrams available for this model?