Falken tyres any good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenc5mad

Re: Falken tyres any good?

Post by citroenc5mad »

Btw you will never know 100% what's in the tyre as that's confidential and only the designer of the tyre knows, but all tyres use the same basic princables just the construction is different as in the type of everything used
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot remember which program I saw it on, but one of the motoring programs got to see tyres being made. While they do have different compositions, the machines used to turn the raw tyre into a proper one is the same regardless of whether the tyre was a road tyre or an F1 tyre. This was demonstrated by using one machine. All they did was to line up the raw tyre, enter the manufacturer code, and let it get on with it. They then lined up the second raw tyre and did the same. At the end there were two tyres that were ready to go on the relevant cars.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Falken tyres any good?

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenc5mad wrote:Its todo with the design of the tyres and if the selected company your using for you tyres.
All garages vary in prices and companies that they use, for there tyres, I cant explain why they price them how they do its down to them to price them.
If they cost more to produce then the tyre will effectively cost the customer so on and so forth, so the price is put on the public.
It all comes down to what you want from the tyre.
As you didn't state what type of rubber is being used what type off reinforcment being used, to protect the tyre from sharp objects, etc etc so at the end off the day your paying for how good the overall tyre is not just the rating etc as you posted but the whole construction of the tyre its self.
So why are the same £36 tyres over £70 at Kwik-fit, or £55 at Blackcircles.com
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

They charge what they can because they can (and because they know most people don't know where to go to get better prices). I was talking to somebody this morning who said that he had got DRLs for his Ranger Rover from Thames Valley Electrics for £13. Halfrauds are selling exactly the same DRLs for £26!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Exactly my point I cant comment on what places are selling them from obviously some stick to the RRP and some don't, they might be the same tyre on paper but they might be slightly off spec, for example. Sports clothing some shops charge top momau while sports direct are cheaper why??? Because they are either rejected buy the bigger designer shops so they get sold cheaply and then the savings are passed on to the consumer.

And some places sell them top dollar because people buy them at that price ljke supermarkets do with cds and dvd if they sell they keep there price the same if they fail down comes the price so they are not left with them on the shelf after all its not eraned anything if they haven't sold them.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenc5mad wrote:Exactly my point I cant comment on what places are selling them from obviously some stick to the RRP and some don't, they might be the same tyre on paper but they might be slightly off spec,
Sorry, that's nonsense. You're telling me a Michelin Energy Saver + That can be had for £51 from my local tyre place is inferior to exactly the same tyre model available at Kwik-fit for £20 more? I don't think so... I'd better go and complain to my local tyre place hadn't I?..
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The likes of Kwik fit seem to charge what they like and rely on people not knowing any better, just driving in and saying I want new tyres/brakes etc.If you pre buy tyres at Kwik fit they are cheaper than driving in. I would assume it's the same for their other products also.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I just get mine from camskill and get my local place to fit them for £8 a corner inc a new valve and balance :) For Avons, on the Impreza, this saved me over £140.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

How is it a load of nonesense, everything that gets produced has rejects nothing is every perfect !!!!
It seams pointless producing a tyre if its slighly out of spec and then destroying it.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If a tyre was sold with a known fault (even if it was only slightly out of spec), and then it failed, causing major injuries (or even fatalities) the maker would end up in court, as well as being sued. Where safety is concerned a minor fault isn't good enough.

One area where 'defects' are acceptable is the field of CPUs. Intel, for example, are always trying to make the best CPUs they can. However, slight defects can creep in. What Intel then do is thoroughly test each CPU at set clock speeds. If it passes at one speed they then step up to the next speed and test again. When a CPU fails to produce the required results at a given speed it is dropped back down one speed, tested again, and (assuming it passed), locked to that speed and marked up as such.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenc5mad wrote:How is it a load of nonesense, everything that gets produced has rejects nothing is every perfect !!!!
It seams pointless producing a tyre if its slighly out of spec and then destroying it.
You've a lot to learn about tyres, tyre failures and litigation. I'd suggest starting by reading about the Firestone/Ford Tyre lawsuits of the early 2000s...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:If a tyre was sold with a known fault (even if it was only slightly out of spec), and then it failed, causing major injuries (or even fatalities) the maker would end up in court, as well as being sued. Where safety is concerned a minor fault isn't good enough.
Exactly James. Firestone paying out millions and millions of dollars, 100+ deaths , and the recall of 6 million tyres springs to mind. Those tyres weren't even proven faulty..
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

citroenc5mad wrote:Its todo with the design of the tyres and if the selected company your using for you tyres.
All garages vary in prices and companies that they use, for there tyres, I cant explain why they price them how they do its down to them to price them.
If they cost more to produce then the tyre will effectively cost the customer so on and so forth, so the price is put on the public.
It all comes down to what you want from the tyre.
As you didn't state what type of rubber is being used what type off reinforcment being used, to protect the tyre from sharp objects, etc etc so at the end off the day your paying for how good the overall tyre is not just the rating etc as you posted but the whole construction of the tyre its self.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!