anti-pollution system failure citroen c5 2009

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peterdb
My Cars:

Re: anti-pollution system failure citroen c5 2009

Post by Peterdb »

What's up Dan, no news about your lady? Did the garage found out what went wrong??
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

hi guys same thing happened again tonight, this time it died!!!!!
restarted first turn, took off got into 3rd reved it too 3,000 rpm and died, done it again and same thing happened....

so I dropedof the misses and took it out for another spin and it died yet again, but this time during acceleration and the rpm went to 3,500 rpm, like it kicked it too stall?????

the last time this happened I was using BP fuel, I stopped using this fuel, since and out of desperation I had to use this fuel again, could it be a badsorce creating this problem ie the fuel????

im taking it back to the garage tomorrow hopefully to shed some light on the situation, I have had a quick lookover it but found nothing unusual present, anything I can look at my self or anything that is prone to be used???

any help gradetly appreciated.

Dan
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Peterdb wrote:What's up Dan, no news about your lady? Did the garage found out what went wrong??

sorry didn't realise it was 2 pages, they found no fault, but I dunno if they cleared it and that was it, but I have had it come on again since.
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Dan, could be that driving in town with hardly rpm is the course, if I was you take the lady out for a drive above 60 km/hrs for about 20-25 km and it should go out by itself.
If not it can take 1 or 2 days before it disappears but not to much to wurry about.
We, my son and me do have it also driving only in town and we just go out on the high way (if you can call them so here) and its gone again.
good luck
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Thanks peter, I did try this earlier, I don't drive around town really I travel down dual carrage ways, about 75 miles aday maybe I'm not opening her up enough, I do have tomorrow off work so definetly going to get her checked out, just to make sure, I might have to start driving her a little bit harder, once a week to cure this problem???

Thanks for the help peter.
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Dan, even on dual carrage ways, when you are not driving above the 60 km/hr and under 3000 rpm it maybe the problem, to have the lady sometimes giving a kick-down will help the engine and your TC to be cleaned. When you do this look into the mirrow and see the "black" smoke coming out!!
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

I do give it a burn quite often, a Mani 5 mins off acceleration but no smoke, no matter how hard I try and in 2,3 or4th gear.
I will take it for another blast today and see what happens.
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Dan, don't expect the engine is smoking all the time, it happen only when you give it a kick-down and then the smoke afterwards is gone. If it comes all the time then you do have a problem, most likely the TC is either not working correct or the cooler is dirty what sits in the front next to the radiator.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We never actually confirmed what engine is in it..... :)

If it is a diesel....It shouldn't be necessary to thrash it to get the filter to re-gen if it's working properly - mine (1.6 HDi) just does it in normal driving. I realise sometimes, as there is some relay clicking around the passenger footwell, and the rear screen heater comes on. And if it has a DPF it will never visibly smoke (unless the DPF is truly knackered :lol: ).

If the depollution fault has been up, then there should be a fault recorded. However, if it's come spurious fault (see my recent thread about fuse boxes!) then it may or may not leave a trace #-o Whereabouts are you? There may be someone not too far away that has a Lexia and can interrogate it.
Richard W
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Richard, you right about that, the only info we have is that he doesnot have an automatic gearbox, the rest is "in the air".
Dan has to come back with some more info and then you right, if it is petrol (and not diesel) the engine will hardly smoke.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's diesel, it will have a DPF, and therefore won't smoke in any case.....
Richard W
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Its a 1.6hdi sorry about the lack of info guys. Forgot to mention what it was for some reason I presumed you all where mind readers lol.

Got it back from the garage had it on the diagnostic, and show fault with low fuel pressure, replaced the fuel filter and hey presto fixed and puring like the kitten she is.

Richard as about the lexia you mentioned, I have messaged someone off here who is also from st Neots with no reply, so I gave up with that. I even asked if there was a fee involved if he done a complete check got nothing, in return.

Cheers for the suggestions, just wish I changed the fuel filter when I serviced it a month or so back, quick question tho how often do fuel filters need changing.

Regards Dan
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

citroenc5mad wrote:Cheers for the suggestions, just wish I changed the fuel filter when I serviced it a month or so back, quick question tho how often do fuel filters need changing.
According to the DocBackup I've got, the 1.6 HDi C5 X7 should have its fuel filter changed every 37500 miles or two years under normal usage conditions. Under 'Arduous' conditions (door-to-door, taxi, hot climates, dusty areas, regular short journeys.... etc) it should be changed every 30000 miles or each year.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Thanks for that info bobins, will write it down for future reference.
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Yeah right, if there is no status when the filters have been changed then you will get "wrong" advice.
I was under the impression that all services where done as this is a very normal procedure these days driving ANY car!!
Now coming back to Dan's problem, if he had known that the service to his engine was not done in time then you can count on it you will run into problems.
He better check also the drive belts and for the timing belt when this was done otherwise he can run into another problem here.
If the previous owner never changed this filter or did not do it lately he also was not interested anymore to have the latest changed/renewing of the belts. What about oil filter?? Air filter?? I can go one like this.
If the normal maintenance as descriped by the dealer and is written in the instructions books are done, you will have a much better car and a safe one not to brake down or giving problems as Dan just had.
I change my filter every 20.000 km as driving here in East block countries you never know what kind of diesel you are tanking so that is a precaution and therefore never had this event like Dan due to filter problems!!
I as stated in previous messages did have this due to driving with an Automat Aisin 6 gears to much in town and got this msg on the display quet often but a nice drive outside town for about 20 min solve this problem.
Anyway Dan has a good car and engine running properly (until now) so congrets they found the reason.
I still want to advice him to check other "maintenance" issues as descriped here above.
Have a great weekend you all
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.