My LHM is ORANGE o_O

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skog77
My Cars:

My LHM is ORANGE o_O

Post by skog77 »

When you buy a used car you always have some surprises waiting for you from previous owners.

I was fitting comfort spheres to my Xantia, and this is what came dripping out as i unscrewed the first sphere.
As you can see it has the green tint when spread thinly but it's actually orange.

There are two options:
1. There is some orange hydroflush product i don't know about
2. Some IDIOT has put ATF fluid in the LHM tank! :evil:
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: My LHM is ORANGE o_O

Post by Trainman »

There's a third option........ it could be LDS off later Citroëns
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

That just looks like very old, very dirty LHM as you can see green stains on the edge of the bag. When I first got my Activa it looked like that. Do a couple of changes back to back and all will be good!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Trainman wrote:There's a third option........ it could be LDS off later Citroëns
I had no idea LDS looked like that, but after looking on line it may very well be LDS.
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

If it is LDS change it quckly! It eats o-rings in LHM sytem! If not change it anyway...
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

If it's lds it is very old and very dirty lds. The stuff in my c5's tank is a lot brighter than that.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

xantos wrote:If it is LDS change it quckly! It eats o-rings in LHM sytem! If not change it anyway...
ATF does that too. s**t, i'll change it as fast as i can.

Why do people do this stuff #-o
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That just looks like really old LHM to me. The stuff that came out my Activa was like that

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:That just looks like really old LHM to me. The stuff that came out my Activa was like that
Yep, agree fully. It's just very old LHM. I believe there is no dealer service schedule to change it so if the car has always been rigorously dealer serviced it will not have been changed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

skog77 wrote:
xantos wrote:If it is LDS change it quckly! It eats o-rings in LHM sytem! If not change it anyway...
ATF does that too. (-expletive removed-), i'll change it as fast as i can.

Why do people do this stuff #-o
Where do you both get that idea from ?

LHM+ is a low viscosity semi synthetic mineral oil, LDS is a low viscosity fully synthetic mineral oil. They're different but not from a seal compatibility perspective.

Most ATF is also low viscosity semi synth or fully synth mineral oil and won't eat the seals. The problem with ATF is the friction modifiers are harmful to the sliding metal surfaces in valves etc and may cause accelerated wear, but we're talking about over years not weeks. (My first Xantia came filled with red ATF in the hydraulic system for who knows how long and a couple of LHM changes saw it good - no problems with seals)

If DOT.4 fluid (or the ancient LHS) had been in there you could scrap the car as every single hydraulic unit would have destroyed seals (and the sphere membranes would probably be damaged too) but with LDS in there there is no seal apocalypse - just change the oil a couple of times and it will be fine. :wink:

Just looks like dirty LHM to me anyway - my new V6 LHM has a light green/orange colour to it too so needs an LHM change. Orange is also the colour of Hydraflush so it may be remnants of being hydraflushed.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As you say Simon, LDS won't destroy seals. I think the confusion is arising from LHS, the old original red glycol-based fluid used in hydraulic systems up until 1967 on the DS.

It was evil stuff ad terribly hygroscopic..

That stuff will rot LHM seals. It was the original reason LHM equipment was all marked with green all over it so that there could be absolutely no confusion. LHS stuff was black...

Both LDS, ATF and 10 grade motor oil can be used in Citroen Hydraulic systems in dire emergency with no lasting danage as long as it's drained, flushed and changed for LHM promptly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I know that mineral oil based fluids will damage the rubber compounds used for glycol-based fluids, but I'm not sure it also applies in the other direction.

There's also an amount of Citroën stuff that's marked with a white dash/stripe; this is compatible with both fluid types. I've mostly seen this on Dee suspension boots.
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Well thanks for all the input :)

Glad to hear its probably not eating away at everything inside, i'll change to the proper stuff soon anyway. :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I believe the green dye is supposed to break down with heat, loss of the vivid colour could certainly mean it's just old LHM.
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Well i've pumped out about 3,2L of the old stuff and put in fresh LHM. Feels like it made the car happy, at least the streering feels smoother.

I poured some of the old stuff out on a white napkin. Hopefully it's just really old LHM. :)