Electric/lighting problems 01 xsara picasso(canbus?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Electric/lighting problems 01 xsara picasso(canbus?)

Post by oscar »

Hi found that when press brake front side lights(leds)glow dimly with ign on also panels lights ie dash/wheel and lower controls gets brighter if engine running but full light.have tail/brake leds bulbs along with plate light.
what i also found after changed high brake light to leds as some where blown they light dim with lights on but bright when press brake.

Do these need resistors or canbus type leds?
oscar

Re: Electric/lighting problems 01 xsara picasso(canbus?)

Post by oscar »

What values do i need if going resistor route?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

wouldn't have thought LED's would cause any problems on this models or need resistors apart from on the indicators. sounds like cheapo/faulty led's to me.
oscar

Post by oscar »

Had a poke around tonight if i disconnect rear lights problem stops as spoke to auto leccy my way and said try unplugging and see which side but it's both as thought left then replugged right and came back on again is it singly earth or are both earthed or think could be tow bar leccys? as they have scotch locked them and hate them with vengeance as used to cause of many car fires years back
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Hi Oscar

This sounds to me as if you've got the wrong "bulbs" fitted in your Stop/Tail lamps.
Originally these would have been dual filament bulbs, with the bayonet pins staggered to try and prevent you fitting them the wrong way round, and crucially TWO electrical contact points in the end.
Somehow, people often gunter single contact "indicator" bulbs into these with the results you're experiencing, because the single contact on the bulb bridges the twin contacts in the holder. When you press the brake, power is applied to the brake light contact, passes through the single contact on the incorrect bulb, back into the sidelight circuit, energising all lamps in the circuit.
I have heard of faulty LEDs, where the contacts are shorted together, but it's rare and I think it far more likely you've got the wrong ones.
Hope that helps
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi no dual contact leds do know my fittings! Must have been something with them as don't get now since removed them.

Just have brake lights staying on problem now well sometimes but when press brake get slightly brighter!