LHM leaking from Height Controller?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MugWump

LHM leaking from Height Controller?

Post by MugWump »

Hi, I've just bought a second hand Xantia, and after a bit of trouble with the fan belt goin an leaving me stranded in the middle of Derbyshire, i thought I'd give it a good checkin out...
Firstly, there's a big red STOP Light on the dashboard, and next to it, what looks like a brake warning light... OK, i thought, lets check out the brakes: All fine, they actually look pretty new... But, as I jacked up the rear of the car, i noticed a pool of green fluid dripping from what looks like the Rear Height Controller...
Now from what i've read here on the forum, my HC seems to be working without a hiccup - the car goes up and down with no problems, and it stays at whatever height i set it to (Except what i leave the car over night in the normal driving position - in the morning it's on the floor, but i've always thought this is normal...). so after I found the leak - i checked my LHM level and it's pretty much on zero!
So here are my questions:
Would lack of LHM fluid cause the brake warning light? (i think i've read on this forum that they use same hydraulic system...)
Do i need to look at the HC or it's seals? or are they known to leak under strained circumstances? - I've chatted to a friend - a previous Xantia owner, and he says that maybe the leak only arised because of the jacking process, intense pressure to pump suspension to max, an some sort of back pressure when the wheel comes off the ground?
If anyone could figure out my Quandry, i'd be very greatful!
MugWump
-------------------------------------
'94 Xantia 1.9 TD SX 160k (Hatchback)
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The (!) warning light is actually the hydraulic system warning light, its not specifically reffering to the brakes. It operates in conjunction with the STOP light.
The light will come on if the LHM level is too low, quite a common complaint especially where the light flickers when cornering.
It will also come on where the pressure in the accumilator is not sufficient to operate the brakes properly.
As for the leak, you need to really have a very close look at the HC. Never ever get under a Xantia (or any other HP Citroen) unless it is adequately supported with ramps or a pair of axel stands - you only have to knock one of the HC linkages and it will drop straight on top of you. I have heard of at least one case of somebody being crushed to death under a Xantia and I don't want to hear of another.
It could potentially just be that one of the little pipe seals has gone and that is causing the leak, it could be the HC unit itself thats damaged. Putting the suspension on high for jacking won't do any harm, as long as you don't attempt to jack the car up on the unit itself! Only use the proper jacking points on the sills.