ZX Advantage Turbo diesel overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mthornbury

ZX Advantage Turbo diesel overheating

Post by mthornbury »

I am looking at buying a '93 ZX advantage TD.
The owner has said it has an overheating problem, caused by sludge and rust/scale deposits in the block.
Is this difficult or impossible to fix?
Does this sound like a likely scenario?
He has replaced: radiator, cylinder head removed, pressure and crack tested, valve seats re-cut and the head skimmed and refitted with new gaskets and cam belt.
It still overheats.
After what I have read with the ZX, is it likely that it may be as simple as not being bled properly?
Any help would be warmly welcomed.
Mike
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well -
Despite investments - the problem is still there.
If you're NOT an experienced car/engine DIY'er - this problem may cost you a garage bill the same as the car's value - even more [}:)]
Explaining how to find/solve an overheating problem is difficult - as you MUST have DIY engine experience.
The problem can definately NOT be ignored - as the engine soon will leak it's headgasket again - and dump the coolant and/or the engine oil. Which in reality means engine replacement.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'd steer well clear, a car overheating after so much work is only going to spell costly trouble.
ZX's are so cheap these days, even in TD guise, you won't have to pay a lot for a good one.
mthornbury

Post by mthornbury »

Thanks, guys
I think I'll leave it alone....
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It depends when it overheats as he says.
Mine tends to overheat at speed (70+)on the motorway in the summer, the gauge shows just over halfway, but at present its only at a third in this cold weather.
I have read that, the heat exchanger air intake at the grille maybe the problem, where insufficent volume of cool air passes through to disipate the heat generated.
In other words fit either a larger intercooler at the front of the radiator or have a Impreza type bonnet intake or Slow down as I do (-75).
Sooty
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

If this is the car on Ebay you were talking about, the one thing he didn't mention, and the first thing I would have checked was whether the water pump was working correctly. Assuming he's changed everything else, the pump was the only thing the seller didn't mention...