Freezing up washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

Freezing up washers

Post by FFX-DM »

I have searched the forum and not found any metnion of this, so I thought I would see how other people cope with the old frozen up washers? I have heard various Heath robinson solutions, such as coil the pipe round something hot to heat up the washer fluid. Putting 100% alcohol in the washer bottle, all sorts of stuff. What's everybody's favourite technique? Anybody done any interesting bodges oops, I mean 'modifications' [;)] ?
I had the frozen up washers blues this morning and it reminded me of the hell of driving South on the A1 into a low sun with trucks spraying salt all over my screen. Last time that happened, I had to keep sticking my arm out of the window and splashing evian water onto the screen!
Can one get heated washer jets for the ZX? That would be my first choice, as I just love a gadget!! [:p]
BTW, I don't think that the high proportion of alcohol cleans the windscreen very well, even though it doesn't freeze, and I have had problems even when usingh neat screenwash in the past in any case. Overproof jamaican run perhaps? meths?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Bottle of meths in the washer bottle!!!
I'm indebted to Dave Burns for this tip, about 1/2 pint stops 'em freezing in all but the most severe conditions. My washers were working this morning in frozen Wiltshire just fine.
Meths is not good for polished paint though.
As for heated washers, I can't find anything in the UK Citroen range with heated washers (I may be wrong). Lots of BMW's and the like have them, even quite old ones so it might be a question of adapting????
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Yup...mine were frozen this morning.
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

You can always rely on good old Jon for a rapid answer! [:D]
I thought that meths was not good for the paintwork. I don't use windscreen de-icer spray for the same reason. Heated jets sound like the most techno-fun solution. I know that soem VW and F*rd's have them (top end Focus).
The jets on the ZX are hidden under the edge of the bonnet. I wouldn't have thought that standard ones would fit? I replaced the ones on my old vw Polo with super duper multi jet turbo jobbies and it was brilliant. I would do so on the ZX if I thought that generic ones were compatible. Whatcha think Jon?
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

For a bodge job, I know of a family friend who used rear window heater, metal repair film, which was wrapped around the tubes and connected on a similar circuit. Apparently did a 'grand job' but unsure how long the tubing lasted.
Or....as I found yesturday in a Bora, just a washer pump with some decent pressure is needed.
Personally, a fine pin always works for me.
Bring on summer!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I don't know how diluted you could go with the methylated spirits to prevent the paint problems.
In early commercial refrigeration units, the refrigerant was run into a coil that was a coil in a tank & the top section of this contained a float & needle & seat that let refrigerant into the coil and as it evaporated it absorbed the heat from the metho & water in the tank which in itself then became the cooling medium for the ice cream holes as well as the tank in the display cabinet. It ran on a mix of 50/50 water & metho & was sometimes topped up using just water, hence the percentage often became diluted. Some of those gases boiled off at about -35F and this stuff still didn't freeze so if it was used at that rate or even a bit less, I could imagine several brass monkeys making enquiries with the local welding works.
I would imagine if you were using a meth/water mix that the freezing in teh washers would be where the liquid comes out of the pipe in the centre of the wiper due to evaporation so it may need a bit of encouragement first up but should be OK after that.
Alan S
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My old SAAB 9000 (1987) has heated washer water - it is a unit that fits into the top rad hose. The washer pipe is coiled around the rad hose in an all metal unit that you could put in any car presumably by cutting a section of top hose out and fitting it in; it would need the washer pipes re-routing. I'd imagine you could get this from many scrappies.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I used Holts High Performance Screenwash and I've found that mixed at 50% concentration with water does not freeze in any conditions we get up here in Lancashire.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I use cheap supermarket brand screenwash undiluted without problems even on BX where the pipes run along wiper arms and have not experienced frozen washers for years, at around £2.50 for 5 Litres its the solution of choice for me, didnt H***rds sell heat resistant washer pipe which could be wrapped around top hose or heater hose at one time?
Stewart
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Couple of Mad ones.
1) fit a 12v kettle element into the washer bottle - dunno about how long the washer bottle would last, and would have to wait for it to - boil!!
2) drill the bonnet & fit Vauxhall ones (Carltons, Vectras should have them) easy to tell - look for the wire!!
3)pour a warm kettle over the jets / edge of bonnet before leaving in the morning!!
R
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Puzzles me [8)]
I've NEVER had these troubles - allway taking the same route as Stewart (oilyspanner) above.
Is it down to some kind of Scottish budget thinking [:D][:p][?]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

As for heated washers, I can't find anything in the UK Citroen range with heated washers (I may be wrong). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have a late '98 Xantia Exclusive and it has an electrical connection to the washers. I don't know for certain but assume they are heated jets.
Then again, I have not had much trouble with freezing jets since my BX days. That tube round the front wiper was a nightmare.
I find using a little over the prescribed ammount of a good quality winter screenwash works fine.
The main problem is it freezing on the screen after spraying.[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>
.... not had much trouble with freezing jets since my BX days. That tube round the front wiper was a nightmare. [:(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
- why ?
Recently I repaired "that tube ..." with a small piece of rubber hose - since the tube was split in the sharp bend (as usual).
Works no problems.
Same done to my CX - worked the last 3 y's it was on the roads.
It's a 10min repair at most - even considered the allmost give-away cost of a new tube - this is an instant lasting repair.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

[:D] Had to laugh, Alan S giving advice about frozen washer jets........in Australia! Whats the temp out there at the moment Al? 40+...........Then again, Anders doesn't have frozen washers in colder latitudes than the UK![:o)] Or is it just me?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Dave [:D]
As I also attend to the swedish Citroen Q&A Akuten - I have to say that this washer problem never seems to be an issue here [:)]
We allways use the undiluted Supermarket ready made mix - "summer" mix ok down to some -10degC, "winter" mix to some -22degC. Guess even higher "proof" is availabe in Sweden & Norway.
BTW - DK latitudes range from Newcastle to just north of Aberdeen - so it's not that different really - depending from where in GB you're tapping on the keyboard [8D]