Replace BSM, C5 2.0 -06

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nonu
My Cars:

Replace BSM, C5 2.0 -06

Post by nonu »

Hi there,

I have a Citroen C5 2.0 -06 which do not start.
After some debugging, I have come to the conclusion that it is the fusebox (BSM) which is faulty.

My question is if anyone has relevant experience of changing a BSM?
Is it just to replace with a new one right away? Or should it be programmed with new software?

Thanks in advance.
BX
My Cars:

Re: Replace BSM, C5 2.0 -06

Post by BX »

Why have you come to this conclusion? What is happening or not as the case may be? I have picked up the pieces on a number of occasions where either a BSI or BSM has been replaced with a new one but the fault remained. The dealers answer was to change another expensive unit. On every occasion the fault was either a bad connection or a fuse where there was either a fracture in the fuse link or a bad connection to the blades.
I have never changed either unit and am open to correction on this but I believe that a second hand BSM can be fitted without programming.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would try and get a Lexia hooked up to it and see what it reports. There are forum members who have them and are willing to help;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
nonu
My Cars:

Post by nonu »

Thanks for your replies.

Okay, I can tell the whole story.
The car was driven in one day about 700 km without any problem and then when we would continue to run after a lunch break did not start the car. After a number of attempts to start the car went into "Economy Mode" and got towed home. After the car has not started.
May be added that it was raining very heavily before we paused.

I've done troubleshooting with Lexia and it says:

Error in:
Injection
Relay box engine
ABS brakes
Suspension

Injection:
permanent failure
Control injectors 1,2,3,4 short circuit to ground.

Permanent failure
Control of ignition coil 1,2,3,4 Interrupted circuit, short circuit to positive, short to ground.

Relay Box Motor (BSM):

Permanent failure
For control of the fuel pump.

After reading about similar problems, the solution has been to replace the relay unit (BSM).
Therefore, I wonder if you can just swap it without programming.

Or do you have any idea about what could be wrong?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would be inclined to try doing a battery reset procedure first. This can sometimes sort out glitches. I would also check for any electrical places where the rain could have leaked in. I doubt that the rain is a coincidence.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
nonu
My Cars:

Post by nonu »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I would be inclined to try doing a battery reset procedure first. This can sometimes sort out glitches. I would also check for any electrical places where the rain could have leaked in. I doubt that the rain is a coincidence.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also think that the rain are relevant here.

I have removed all the contacts I have to find and all appear to be dry.
Also disconnected the electricity to the trailer hitch.
Checked all the fuses.

I have also tried a BSI reset:

"(Make sure the key is out of the ignition then open the bonnet & close all the doors.
Wait at least 3 minutes (During this 3 minutes do not open any doors or press the remote buttons)
Disconnect the battery bothering terminals (negative first)
Wait at least 3 minutes and then re connect the battery terminals (negative load)
Once the battery isreconnect wait another 3 minutes then lock the car with the key (not the remote) then unlock it again after 20 seconds.
Open the door and switch the ignition on, wait 10 seconds & try & start it.) "

Tomorrow I'll try the battery reset you recommended.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you can, get hold of some proper contact cleaner (NOT WD40!) and a toothbrush. Then go around all the connectors you can, spray them with the cleaner and use the brush on them. Sometimes you can get a slight oxidisation cause problems, as this changes the electrical resistances.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Also do the basics. Check each and every maxi fuse. Make sure that all earth connections are ok. Check that all 12v supplies are getting to the engine ECU. There is one way in which the rain might be relevant. One of the more common reasons for an engine ECU to go faulty is due to insulation breakdown in an ignition coil. If the engine got wet it might possibly give the same symptoms. The high tension might arc over to the low tension leads thus blowing the switching transistors for the ignition and maybe some other components as well.
I also think that it should be possible to fit a second hand BSM without programming. To use a second hand Engine ECU you need to change the BSI as well. You also need the transponder chips from the keys. The radio is also an issue. I know that a used berlingo BSI can have its memory wiped. It then appears as a new one and all the options need to be programmed. A new C5 BSM costs on the region of 500 euro as far as I know.
Unfortunately I cannot give more specific help.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Just a note with the errors in Lexia... Clear all the errors first as errors in Lexia are persistent until cleared (so they can be weeks, months, years old). Once cleared, attempt to start the car again, and then re-run the scan for errors.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Not sure why "economy mode" would be relevant. It doesn't stop the car from starting, only shutting down some electrics to preserve battery power. You don't say if the engine was turning over or just not firing.
My guess is a duff battery.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
nonu
My Cars:

Post by nonu »

Thank you so much for all the answers!

Today I borrowed a BSM from a friend. Not the same engine, V6 3.0, but it was the same BSM, the same number (BSM L04-00).

I installed it and the car started !! Wow!
I tried "my" BSM in his car and it did not start.
When I put "my" BSM in "my" car again, the car did not start.

I am now convinced that there is something wrong in the BSM.

But my question remains. Can I install a brand new BSM without programming?
The price difference between a new and a used is not so big.

I'll call a Citroën dealer tomorrow and ask and order one.

Will be returning!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is no need to program, you just install it and drive away happily. Failures were quite common in Australia, of the starting relay and wiper or headlight relays.

From the dust - are you in Israel?
nonu
My Cars:

Post by nonu »

Ok.
I live in Sweden. Maybe the rain and winter-weather are bad for the BSM?

Does the BSM also controll the wipers?
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Mrs triumphtoledo's C5 II petrol did this ; would not start, and the Lexia came up with loads of unrelated faults. It was the fusebox, to which you point. A new one from Citroen was about £120; plugged it in and all was well.

Something internally breaks down and causes all kinds of madness. At the dealer's price, I didn't think it necessary to risk a second-hand one but make sure that you have exhausted all other avenues first.

R
nonu
My Cars:

Post by nonu »

Today I got the new fuse box (BSM) from Citroën. It cost about 1,700 Swedish crowns.
I installed it and the car run again.
It's just plug n play, so no software.

Thank you all for your replies!