aaaarrrgggg!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MountainMan
My Cars:

aaaarrrgggg!

Post by MountainMan »

I am in the middle of fitting a new clutch cable, with a few problems. I know where the cable exits the bulkhead but....the turbo oil feed, power steering hydraulic feeds, steering rods, turbo intake and various other items mean I can get no where near the damn bulkhead grommet and entrance!! I can't even get my arm near the connection for the turbo intake jubilee clip, to free some space.
"Just unclip the cable and withdraw"!! (Thanks Haynes)
Any advice gratefully recived.
I am completely stuck.
MTNM.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

What car is it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Its much higher up than you imagine and extremely difficult to see as you have found out, I have the car on the ramps for this operation and even then you can only just see where it goes.
Get a straw or something similar and poke it through the hole from inside the car, you will then see the exit hole on the other side.
Best to gob on the rubber grommet before you try and shove it home, makes thigs that bit easier.
Dave
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Thanks.
Oh, should of said. It's on a 92 ZX Volcane TD.
So I should leave the grommet in place and pull the cable through and replace? A damn site easier than removing half the engine!
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

I have done the clutch cable on my ZX TD t'was a bitch of a job. My advice is to get the pedal end in first. Seeing the hole is difficult but I was able to do it without remving any parts. It can be seen easiest from the top with the bonnet propped open to it's highest position. After I moved the diesel primer hand pump to one side, after unclipping it I could just get my hand to where the cable enters the bulkhead.
Thread the tip of the cable just through then working inside get it attached to the pedal. Before this is done don't worry about anchoring the cable to the subframe etc. When it is clipped onto pedal route the cable as per the previous one then attach back at clutch end which is the easy part. The hard part is like Dave says the rubber gromet that goes into the car bulkhead can be tricky. Try lubing it up and pulling on the pedal etc to get it clipped in.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I stand alongside the car facing forward and insinuate my left hand down the side/rear of the engine, the operation can then be accomplished in braille! mind you I have taken the usual citroen mechanics precaution of having both arms fitted with extra elbows, 360 degree wrists and immensely strong miniature hands, I once had a conversation with a Citroen Mechanic who admitted that they can take 3 or 4 hours to do BX clutch cable in their workshops sometimes too, I believe Xantia and ZX are just as entertaining
Stewart
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Not tell me all you looking at is a engine bay full of pipework and turbo!!
Our old BX went and that was a cow! We nocked off the turbo inlet pipe and only noticed the next morning when we started it again!!
Of course if your french, and everything is on the other side its all fine and dandy!.
Only three bits of advice for you tho.
1) Don't do it, give it to someone else!!
2) Don't remove the grommit, you'll never get it in again!!
3) Check it before the morining!! (never did put that pipe back on, still its ****ed now so doesn't matter really [:D])
Good Luck
R
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

[:D][:D]
Thanks, will get arms modified after work today.
My Kiwi housemate noticed my difficulty last night and has offered to help me get it sorted this evening (he hasn't seen the engine bay yet but is fairly handy with a spanner). I expect swearing will be involved, then a 'sod it factor' and finally the pub!!
I love a challenge.