Advice on buying a C5 1.6 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikesporting

Advice on buying a C5 1.6 HDI

Post by mikesporting »

Afternoon All......

I've just joined the forum looking for advice.... I'm in the market for a new car as I now need a 5 door with a new arrival due in a few months. I've been looking at all makes/models and I'm really struggling to find anything that ticks all the boxes. I had it narrowed down to two (Fiat Bravo, Peugeot 308) but almost accidentally I've seen a C5 that looks really nice and is in my budget!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never owned a Citoren, nor a diesel for that matter! I'm looking for any help or advice really.... Are there any common faults? Anything I should be aware off? Is the engine reliable? Things a long that nature....

Any help would be much appreciated!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Advice on buying a C5 1.6 HDI

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The biggest problem is with the turbo failing due to poor maintenance. The link explains it all;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your budget can stretch to it, get a 2.0 8valve HDi engined car. They are considered to be a very strong and reliable engine, with examples in Xantias going well past 250,000 miles (and less than 150,000 miles considered barely run in!).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The biggest problem is with the turbo failing due to poor maintenance. The link explains it all;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your budget can stretch to it, get a 2.0 8valve HDi engined car. They are considered to be a very strong and reliable engine, with examples in Xantias going well past 250,000 miles (and less than 150,000 miles considered barely run in!).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your reply....

The link does slightly put me off the car to be honest..... The dealer said that the car has a 'Full Citroen Service History', would it be foolish for me to assume that it's been well maintained?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot offer an opinion on the servicing, as I have not had any personal experience of Citroen service levels (and, to be honest, none on the C5, just what I have read here). However, something I didn't see in the photos was the height control buttons, which would suggest it may not have the hydro pneumatic suspension Citroen are famous for. It makes for a very smooth ride, with a semi standing joke from French doctors, in that, if they could be prescribed, they would prescribe a hydro pneumatic Citroen for anybody with back problems! A friend who lives on the Isle of Wight does have a back problem, and all the taxi drivers know her. If she approaches any taxi rank, if there is a hydro pneumatic Citroen there it will pull out for her regardless of its' position in said rank.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I cannot offer an opinion on the servicing, as I have not had any personal experience of Citroen service levels (and, to be honest, none on the C5, just what I have read here). However, something I didn't see in the photos was the height control buttons, which would suggest it may not have the hydro pneumatic suspension Citroen are famous for. It makes for a very smooth ride, with a semi standing joke from French doctors, in that, if they could be prescribed, they would prescribe a hydro pneumatic Citroen for anybody with back problems! A friend who lives on the Isle of Wight does have a back problem, and all the taxi drivers know her. If she approaches any taxi rank, if there is a hydro pneumatic Citroen there it will pull out for her regardless of its' position in said rank.
Just visible but occluded by the handbrake James. I think it is just the x7 that in certain trim doesn't come with Hydractive suspension.

Personally I would avoid the 1.6 after reading hear of the many woes attributed to them.
Citroen dealers would follow the service schedule which seems to be very optimistic about oil changes if not completely pie-in-the-sky.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I cannot offer an opinion on the servicing, as I have not had any personal experience of Citroen service levels (and, to be honest, none on the C5, just what I have read here).
Feel free to come round and service mine if you wish to gain some experience James :P
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:mrgreen:
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mikesporting wrote:Afternoon All......

I've just joined the forum looking for advice.... I'm in the market for a new car as I now need a 5 door with a new arrival due in a few months. I've been looking at all makes/models and I'm really struggling to find anything that ticks all the boxes. I had it narrowed down to two (Fiat Bravo, Peugeot 308) but almost accidentally I've seen a C5 that looks really nice and is in my budget!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never owned a Citroën, nor a diesel for that matter! I'm looking for any help or advice really.... Are there any common faults? Anything I should be aware off? Is the engine reliable? Things a long that nature....

Any help would be much appreciated!

That one seems rather overpriced. If you do a search for C5 nationally on Autotrader priced between £2000 and £3000, you'll see what I mean.

The 1.6 seems to have issues with turbo failure caused by oil pickups clogging. I don't, it has to be said, read about as many of these on the C5 as on the other models -perhaps the sump is a different shape or larger capacity? I'm not sure. They are a very nice car to drive but check that *all* the electrical items work on any test drive. If possible take someone who has an idea about these lovely, but slightly weird cars with you and have a good poke around it. They can have all sorts of peculiar electrical issues, and if you aren't handy at fixing them yourself (many are actually not hard to deal with) then you, and your wallet will wish you'd never bought it.

If you can, stretch to a 2.0 16V HDi, the engine seems to have far fewer problems than the 1.6HDi. I'd have a C5 of this age if I could justify the money on a second car, but I can't so I've just bought a known good MK1 2.0 HDi 8V
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Welcome to the forum Mike, you'll get good help and advice from a lot of very experienced enthusiasts and experts, I'm certainly no expert.
I would say that you've found the right car, but with the wrong engine. At that sort of budget you shouldn't have much trouble finding a good 2.0litre HDI which are pretty much bulletproof up to 200,000miles and beyond.
As I understand it the design of these 1.6 engines means that it's virtually impossible to remove all the old oil from the sump when servicing/changing the oil. Combined with the very long service intervals and some fine filters which soon clog, this means they eat turbos and there's also some problem with the injector clamps loosening too.
At 52000 miles it's only had to be in a workshop twice, and main dealers are no guarantee of competent and knowledgeable staff!!
There are quite a few available, this one looks nice http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not too far from you, and there's a few others too.
The 2.2's by all accounts are ok but a bit thirsty. The older ones had a problem with welded in injectors, not sure about the new ones.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I cannot offer an opinion on the servicing, as I have not had any personal experience of Citroen service levels (and, to be honest, none on the C5, just what I have read here). However, something I didn't see in the photos was the height control buttons.
They're hard to spot James. It took me ages to find a picture of any C5 showing them..

By the handbrake..
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

Thanks everyone for the help! I have to say that after reading all your replies I think I'll stay away from that engine. I honestly weren't looking at C5's as a potential car, until I saw this one.... I'll start searching around and see what comes up! I'm looking for a well looked after, low(ish) mileage one that I can keep for many years.

I did read that you're unable to change front bulbs on these and that they have to taken to a Citroen garage? Is this true?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

No.. They're a bit of a fiddle. I took a bumper off to do one but it's only 4 bolts and one on the inner wing, then I managed to pull the bumper foward enough to get at headlamp retaining bolts, then you can move the lamp out far enough to get at the bulb at the back.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

northern_mike wrote:No.. They're a bit of a fiddle. I took a bumper off to do one but it's only 4 bolts and one on the inner wing, then I managed to pull the bumper foward enough to get at headlamp retaining bolts, then you can move the lamp out far enough to get at the bulb at the back.

That does sound like a fiddle!
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-2- ... 3392275bda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one looks nice, overpriced?
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »