Xantia spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndrewB

Xantia spheres

Post by AndrewB »

Any tips for removing stubborn accumulator and rear suspension spheres? Oil filter removers not working!
Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The classic hydraulic Citroen DIY problem [8D]
You need a sling tool - much the same design/idea as the chain strap oil filter removers - BUT using a belt (á la safety belt) with a thin rubber sheet insert - to positively grip on the sphere surface - and positively will sustain the HUGE force needed loosening a stubborn sphere. The torque handle should be at least 0.5m long - not to damage anything in your own body [}:)]
The sphere is NOT stuck by rust in the threads - as the threads are on the LHM oil side - constantly under LHM pressure. It's the O-ring that seemingly gets "vulcanised" on to the mating surfaces over the y's.
GSF used to hire out such a tool - as a customer service to sphere buyers. You may purchase such a tool from Pleiades.
Or you may DIY your own very effective (& cheap) tool :
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147
shug
My Cars:

Post by shug »

or try your local bss branch who do chain wrenches would,nt be without mine now
farnellp
My Cars:

Post by farnellp »

Having changed the spheres on my '96 xantia estate last weekend (first time I'd done this job) I would make the following observations;
When the book says "put the height lever to lowest position, unscrew the pressure relief valve, the system will now be de-pressurised" don't believe it. As I unscrewed the first sphere I was showered by lhm fluid - and it aint tasty I assure you - maybe wrapping the sphere and the bit it screws into in a plastic bag would help, at the very least I'd remove the first sphere slowly.
The centre (accumulator) sphere has a hydraulic pipe screwed directly into it - unscrew this before winding the sphere out of its carrier.
GSF sell a sphere removing tool for about £30 - I'd broken two cheap strap wrenches before I bought one from GSF - It's built like a brick outhouse in comparison to cheap ones and is worth the money. If you live anywhere near Halifax you are welcome to borrow it.
Regards,
Pete
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Book (Haynes) says "with engine running, put the height lever to lowest position ..." . Your car has anti-sink, so if main accumulator sphere is not under pressure (if engine is not running), A/S valves will be closed, and you won't depressurise suspension by moving the height lever to lowest position.
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The sphere is NOT stuck by rust in the threads - as the threads are on the LHM oil side - constantly under LHM pressure. It's the O-ring that seemingly gets "vulcanised" on to the mating surfaces over the y's.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I replaced rear spheres this weekend too (receiving kind advices from this forum[:D]).
Before setting the car in upper position i decided to do it by easy way-to open spheres in the lowest position.
And it worked-sphere was opened with oil filter remover w/o any significant effort.
The tread was absolutely clean-so i agree with Anders-the reason of spheres stuck is o-ring vulcanisation or rust on it's outers side (of cause + friction caused by pressure in the system).
To make my future easy i cleaned and degreased joint between sphere and it's seat and luted it by silicone-hope it will work.[;)]
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shug</i>

or try your local bss branch who do chain wrenches would,nt be without mine now
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just to re-inforce what others have said... BUY THE SPHERE REMOVAL TOOL.
All the spheres on my Xantia had been tightened on (which shouldn't be done) so were a pig to shift even with the hefty GSF tool.
I tried, and broke, several cheaper alternatives including a BSS chain wrench and a clarke chain wrench.
The proper tool makes this job easy.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I changed my front & accum spheres last month after three abortive attempts using various chain and strap wrenches[:(]. I gave in and brought the GSF tool and it made the job so easy[:D]. I had to tug like hell at the accum sphere (legs braced against the car ramps) but it gave in and there wasn't the slightest hint of the GSF tool slipping - unlike my other attempts. I'd highly recommend the tool and although I hated the thought of paying £30 for it, it made the job so easy I should have just gone out and brought it first[:I].
Despite reading the forum for some time, I was surprised at the difference the sphere changing made:
· The ride was very choppy over speed ramps, uncomfortably so if you didn't hit them straight on - now it is controlled and stable.
· The brakes were deadly, either on or off - I now have some feel and control even though they are still very good.
· I used to have to wait 20 or so seconds on low setting with the stop lamp on before the car would raise - now I can go low, high, low etc without the lamp lighting and there is no wait, it just starts to respond in the time it takes to move the lever.
· Clicking time changed from about 17 seconds to too long for me to bother timing it.
Lovely job![8D]