Chances of Straightening This...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Chances of Straightening This...

Post by Guru Meditation »

I have just been to the scrappies and picked up a Volcane leather trimmed steering wheel for £3. Bargain. Great. Problem......
It was from a low spec (1.9d or 1.4 petrol) model that had volcane alloys and the volcane steering wheel (not the interior unfortunately). It was badged up as a 2.0i lol
The problem is the steering wheel is buckled. The lower half and the three spokes are pristine but the top half is bent over by a few degrees as you look from the side and it is slightly out of round. Must of hurt when the driver slammed into it.
I'll post up a couple of pictures later if I can.
Why do I want a volcane steering wheel? It's not some delusional boy racer fantasy or leather fetish but I find the wheel in my ZX Aura a bit thin and the plastic not very good to hold-I want something chunkier with a better texture.
What d'ya reckon my chances are of getting it nice and straight again? If I can't then I've only lost 3$ but it'd be nice if I could.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Once picked up a black series 2 BX steering wheel much the same as to your description.
I never succeded to straighten it out completely - but managed to have it look nice at least in straight ahead position. Still it's a bit annoying when turning as the circumference clearly shifts in height.
I suspect there is a risc the steelframe will give up the ghost completely if you budge it too much.
Guru Meditation

Hmmmm...This is what I'm concerned about-it is going to be annoying to use if when turning it is not completely straight as it won't feel right when turning. I guess best plan of attack is to clamp it in a vice and hit it with hammer
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Guru Meditation</i>

The problem is the steering wheel is buckled. The lower half and the three spokes are pristine but the top half is bent over by a few degrees as you look from the side and it is slightly out of round. Must of hurt when the driver slammed into it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Think about it. Do you really want a steering wheel that's already spoiled somebody's day, and for all you know may have killed them? I wouldn't want it sitting in front of me, personally. But it's got to be your choice, I suppose.
More to the point, there's the question of whether the welds are still sound. Sure, they'll be good enough to turn the wheel, but will they stand up to the impact of Tiff Needell's road atlas flying off the rear parcel shelf? (Last night's Fifth Gear. Anybody see it?)
I suspect that a professional repairer would have junked this wheel on sight. Suggest you do the same, sadly.
Guru Meditation

The thought that it may be in a dangerous condition has crossed my mind but I'm thinking it is only a steel ring. It is still absolutely solid I don't think it is about to fall apart-but obviously I don't know for sure. FWIW I very much doubt the car was in a fatal acc all four wheels were still on the ground, the car would have rolled on them although the front of the car had taken a reasonable impact-definately a write off.
It's a bit like taking any bits from crashed cars really like for example a wheel. How d'ya know it is really sound.
Anyone else had any luck/unluck with repairing a steering wheel?
Guru Meditation

Hmm..I tried straightening it last night, no chance!
I'll still try and post the pictures just out of interest and for reference but I just couldn't do it. I clamped it in a vice and tried to use a crow bar under the hoop levering against a piece of wood but it just wouldn't budge.
Ah well, better keep ringing them breakers